• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864L IHC w/ Environmental Damage

3 posts in this topic

I sent my 1864L S-4 IHC to NGC for grading and it came back AU Details Environmental Damage. I felt that was wrong, but that's a different issue. I would like it to grade, or at least given the best opportunity to grade by NGC, so I am considering sending it to NCS to hopefully remove the environmental damage. (The only thing I can see are the black streaks on the obverse) My main concern is that the conservation will remove/alter the original surfaces of this coin. As you can see in the pictures, it has toned to a chocolate brown color. My question is, with bronze coins such as this one, is it possible to remove surface "damage" w/o removing the original patina/toning? I do understand that most of the time, you can't diagnose a problem or determine what process may benefit a coin through pictures, but I'm hoping my question is general enough for an answer. Thanks.

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

Images can at times be deceiving when it comes to evaluating coins for conservation. Copper coins also present unique concerns. There is a chance the streaks may be lessened but likely not entirely removed. Our goal is always to have a coin grade numerically with NGC but some surface conditions can not always be reversed.

Chris, NCS