• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weekend Pick-up (1884 O Morgan toner)

19 posts in this topic

To make a long story short, I drove 2 hours to an auction Saturday morning that upon arrival I found out was postponed for 2 weeks due to the mailing of the auction list being delayed (at least they let me preview the coins before kicking us out).

My wife was with me so the day suddenly turned into an opportunity of antique store walking throughs which she enjoys so much...joy. I did however find this morgan sitting all lonely in a display case and was wondering what you all might think of it. It has great toning and pretty sure it is NT since it has been in the cardboard for decades. It's common enough in MS for the year but I couldn't resist for $35.

TidyHouse2.jpg

TidyHouse3.jpg

TidyHouse.jpg

To make a long story short, I drove 2 hours to an auction Saturday morning that upon arrival I found out was postponed for 2 weeks due to the mailing of the auction list being delayed (at least they let me preview the coins before kicking us out).

My wife was with me so the day suddenly turned into an opportunity of antique store walking throughs which she enjoys so much...joy. I did however find this morgan sitting all lonely in a display case and was wondering what you all might think of it. It has great toning and pretty sure it is NT since it has been in the cardboard for decades. It's common enough in MS for the year but I couldn't resist for $35.

TidyHouse2.jpg

TidyHouse3.jpg

TidyHouse.jpg

Great looking coin and great price.

I just picked up an 1884-O, PCGS MS-62 for $40.

Even though the auction was postponed, it sounds like a pretty good day to me.

You got to spend a day with your wife and she got to do something she enjoyed. The way I see it , this coin was a bonus. Nice pick-up.

After reviewing some AU58 slabbed 1884 O morgans I gotta believe it is at least in the MS camp somewhere.

On the obverse of the graded (slabbed) AU58 coins show distinct wear in the hair, ear, and the leaves of the cap.

On the reverse on the slabbed coins there is wear on the eagles beak, left claw, and wing tips.

I know I am biased, but the only wear I see on this coin is in the hair only slightly probably from being stored in a sandwich bag and sliding around. It isn't the best strike, but I don't see much wear. If you see something I don't please point it out.

I'll go on a limb and say 64 - There is no wear on the bonnet/leaves, the fields are clear, and the face has what appears to have limited contact beside the lips and no contact at the base/neck... These tidy house coins appear much darker when aged like this than they really are, due to residue from the degrading cardboard/inks being present on the surface. Historically, I've soaked (only soaked!) them in acetone to remove contaminants/stabilize the coin, and rinsed with distilled water. They appear lighter and the true toned colors appear much better than from behind the grime...

Nice Coin

I'll go on a limb and say 64 - There is no wear on the bonnet/leaves, the fields are clear, and the face has what appears to have limited contact beside the lips and no contact at the base/neck... These tidy house coins appear much darker when aged like this than they really are, due to residue from the degrading cardboard/inks being present on the surface. Historically, I've soaked (only soaked!) them in acetone to remove contaminants/stabilize the coin, and rinsed with distilled water. They appear lighter and the true toned colors appear much better than from behind the grime...

Nice Coin

I will go out on that Limb with you and say MS 64 as well.

I bet the coin looks nice in hand.

Looks like an MS63 obverse and an MS64 reverse. Gorgeous subtle toning and I really like the promotional holder.

Great find for $35.

Thanks all, I love this coin and my pictures don't show some of the subtle colors in the toning that come out when it hits natural light. It's one of the cheapest coins I have but becoming one of my favorites.

Nice strike for that year and mint mark. The toning makes it too hard to determine luster, focal area hits and whether or not there is any light rub.

Coin coild grade from AU58 to MS63.

$ilverHawk