• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab Tampering

6 posts in this topic

I have a buyer on e-Bay claiming that the NGC Certified Silver Eagle I sent them has been opened, and glued back together. Is this possible? I have seen videos on YouTube of cracking a NGC slab, and it's a totally destructive process involving a hammer.

I have assured this person that it is simply not possible to open a slab without destroying it. Has anyone ever seen a NGC slab opened in such a way as not to destroy it in the process?

Thanks,

Jim Kramer

I have cracked out many coins and only once have I got the slab to crack open cleanly.

and yes I could have re-sealed it if I was a dishonest person.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=3922568&Searchpage=1&Main=188662&Words=slab+Schatzy&topic=0&Search=true#Post3922568

Thanks Schatzy. I appreciate the reply.

of course, the $60,000 question would be (in this case) - WHY?

It's a MS69 Graded 2007-W Early Release. I can't think of a single reason to crack it open... it still has a very nice burnished 2007-W Silver Eagle inside... and once the coin is in your hand, it's worth basically the same as when it was slabbed... it really doesn't make any sense. I could maybe see someone wanting to crack a "70" slab to put a lesser coin inside to sell at a profit... but a "69"??? That seems kind of pointless.

Anyway... thanks for the info.

-Jim

There is only one type slab that can be opened cleanly with damage to the slab, and thats the ANACS slabs.

NGC, and PCGS slabs have to literaly be cut open along the seam to be opened cleanly. Otherwise, you have damage them to get them open.

The glue this person is referring to may be the melting of the plastic when the coin was sonically sealed. Some slabs have more "melting" than others and it does resemble glue a little bit.

But it's just part of the process...