• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

I sent in a few tokens to NGC to be graded and decided to get them imaged by NGC.

This was before I decided to get my own camera set up. I thought to post them here as they came out pretty nice.

m99b83.jpg

xm7l77.jpg

20gnqmd.jpg

Nice hardware Broadie! (thumbs u

I still haven't found an acceptable HT-32 yet.......

Best, HT

HT, Thanks these are newps so with some more patience another nice HT-32 might surface? In CHAU to UNC this variety is very underrated as a nice example only enters the market every 2 years or so. Which isn't too bad as there's one R-1 rarity rated token I've been patiently waiting 7 years just to spot one in true UNC. Seems easy when glancing at the guide books as they are considered common.... However waiting for Nessy on the beach of Loch Ness to surface might very well be easier then some HTT's?

I hear ya Broadie. Right now I think there are a few serious collectors that have grabbed up most of the high quality HTT's and very little is moving. I have been at this for a decade now and still waiting for several of the alleged R1's to be available.

Best, HT

I just received a new Hard Times Token - an HT-34. It is a bit more 'colorful' compared to my other 3 turtles shown below. What I did not capture was the booming luster of this amazing token, but the color is accurate. Getting a set of these is interesting for comparing strike, die wear, and the different types. I only have two types-the 34 and 33, still looking for the others. So finally getting some new pieces after nothing for 2 years or so.

Best, HT

HT34.NGC.MS65RB_zps1lqnrrtl.jpg

HT-34NGCMS64reflcomp_zps866f4f0b.jpg

HT.33.N.65_zpsrmc3hh5p.jpg

HT-33_zpsb5e96520.jpg

I just received a new Hard Times Token - an HT-34. It is a bit more 'colorful' compared to my other 3 turtles shown below. What I did not capture was the booming luster of this amazing token, but the color is accurate. Getting a set of these is interesting for comparing strike, die wear, and the different types. I only have two types-the 34 and 33, still looking for the others. So finally getting some new pieces after nothing for 2 years or so.

Best, HT

HT34.NGC.MS65RB_zps1lqnrrtl.jpg

I just noticed that this token in on the first page of this thread. Was posted by MJ, glad you sold it MJ and I am happy to have it.

Best, HT

Here is my HT-8, R6. Here is an auction description when it sold at Stacks 9/2009 The Philadelphia Americana Sale, (not to me):

Lot#7008, Reeded edge. Struck coin turn. Obverse: Jackson's uniformed bust facing within a victor's oak wreath, AND. JACKSON PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. 1833 around. Reverse: federal eagle within an oak wreath, standing above 8JAN. 1815, THE GALLANT & SUCCESSFUL DEFENDER OF N ORLEANS. around. Although we cannot be certain, is it possible the reverse die failed on the HT-7 variety with the large shield, and this reverse was created to replace it using a smaller shield on the eagle and no stop after N in N ORLEANS. A rare item that is seldom offered at all. ex Virgil Brand estate B&M1990, ex Gilbert Steinberg B&M2003, ex Richard Gross S2009

Best, HT

HT-8.NGC.AU58.CFL_zps4dgfobap.jpg

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in the Eric Newman HTT sale at HA (thumbs u

There's no upgrades for me in this sale and nothing I'm eager to pick up as a duplicate...

So I've decided not to bid at all as I'd like to see where the final hammer blows fall without my participation.

Since I have not posted anything on this thread in awhile :o

Here is a HTT I acquired a few months ago which I just this morning had time to photograph & write about.

Up and onward to thread page 86... Enjoy! :)

1837-38 Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger Merchant Store Card, New York, 27mm Diameter, Plain Edge, German Silver, HT-261 / Low-248, Rarity-7.

I’ve always wanted to own one of Feuchtwanger’s actual merchant advertisement store cards and I missed the finest Choice BU example I really wanted in the Dice/ Hicks collection which sold for $8,625.00 in 2008. When it reappeared for auction in 2010 I was all prepared to acquire it until the live auction quickly reached beyond my comfort zone hammering $17,250.00 with buyer’s premium. Although John J. Ford also had an example NGC graded MS64, it also showed build up dirt in the lettering, and like an ugly baby you don’t dare make eye contact with a bad black corrosion spot on the reverse I just could not get past. I apparently wasn’t alone as it sold dare I say “cheap” without any momentum once it reached the podium. So the example seen here although not the finest known it has surfaces conditions I could live with & it also matches my Choice Almost Uncirculated R.E. Russell Feuchtwanger 12 ½ Cent piece extremely well.

Briefly circulated however the body of the letters are still rounded, light golden patina on lustrous surfaces, no spots, no hairlines, no planchet striations, no laminations, or any other distractions. The weakness seen on the some of the letters and the irregular rim is a striking condition known to all survivors.

This store card was struck by Wright & Bale for Feuchtwanger on his metal composition also known as American silver, & German silver. Charles Cushing Wright & James Bale also located in New York purchased the business from the widow of die sinker Richard Trested. Lewis Feuchtwanger was located at 377 Broadway from 1831-36 working as a druggist & shared an office with his brother Jacob a dentist/surgeon. In 1837 he moved to 2 Cortlandt Street at the corner of Broadway. He remained there throughout 1838 where he was listed in the directory as a chemist & manufacturer of American silver composition.

Although the earlier 377 Broadway HT-260 Feuchtwanger store card was once considered rarer by Russell Rulau. Once John Ford’s sale in 2013 offered up seven previously unknown HT-260’s to the market compared to only two examples of this issue it majorly tipped the rarity scale upward in the HT-261’s favor.

2utrb76.jpg

Here is my successful win in the Newman HTT Heritage auction in June. Lots of original red on this one, nice luster under the light. When I win an NGC holdered coin/token in an auction, I usually have to reholder it - typically the slabs get very beat up from lot viewing/handling, and NGC slabs get worse when you try to polish out the scratches - I usually end up with alot of hairlines on their plastic when trying to clean it up. Not so with the other competitors plastic, theirs clean right up no worries. But this slab was pristine, as if it was never touched. That suggests that there was not much lot viewing of this and possibly the other Newman tokens, or that maybe they had plastic slab protectors to keep them in good shape....

Best, HT

HT48.N63RB.HAL_zpsg2wqusdx.jpg

1837 Nathaniel March / William Simes, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Low-124 / HT-194, Rarity-1

A duel merchant Hard Times Token store card which although just rated R-1 is extremely hard to locate in Uncirculated condition. Not a single example in UNC has appeared at major auction since 2011. Finding a eye appealing examples with problem free surfaces is also a challenge as many are seen struck from misaligned dies and posses lamination issues due to improper planchet mixture. This is a lateral upgrade as it's taken me 5 years to find a better example at the same exact grade. Please pardon the marks on the NGC holder.

2sba8gy.jpg

Here’s something special which I have never posted & probably no one alive today has seen before…

1842- Unique 28mm Diameter Brass Die Trial Striking of the American Institute Medals struck in Gold by diesinker Robert Lovett, Sr.

It is unlisted by Russell Rulau in brass although a copper HT-M3 struck over a large cent which surfaced in 2000 is considered Rarity-9 on the Hard Times Token rarity scale.

The only public sale for a brass example was in Elliot Woodward’s 1882 Dohrmann collection auction in which a brass & copper pair offered as proofs sold for $6.00.

al3udy.jpg

porcupine48, Thanks it's a cool series loaded with history and no completion pressures as a full set never been accomplished.

Best of luck to all those bidding in Steve Hayden's sale! :)