• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The Grade - 1935 Peace Dollar

48 posts in this topic

Please guess the grade of this 1935-P Peace Dollar.

I feel it is currently undergraded.

The vertical marks you see on the obverse are on the slab, not the coin.

Only real marks are the slight bag marks above the 'ONE' on the reverse.

Thanks,

AJ

103240.jpg.89d0aa196e2c3da536940878d693abc8.jpg

103241.jpg.d49204986b9865ac4a6014fc6d2d1c9c.jpg

hard to tell from the grainy blurry photos

but be that as it may

from the photos

i bet it is anywhere from au58 as it looks like rub on the high points

to a lower ms grade ms62 63

I'm not seeing the rub that y'all are apparently seeing. I am seeing numerous fine tickmarks, which probably limits the grade to 63, 64 if the luster is incredibly strong. You won't get any higher than that with the strike as weak as it is.

The difference between a MS 63 and MS 64 is less then $ 100 retail. The difference in selling prices for the two grades is on average $ 60 . It will cost you about $ 50 to resubmit . Not worth the effort.

grading MS isn't that bad, but discerning between a high AU and a low MS is extremely difficult! A lot of peace dollars are weakly struck so determining a weak strike from slight wear is the real problem. I still can't do it. :(

My point is... if I am fairly confident the coin will upgrade to MS-64 (which I am, the obverse fields are flawless, and the coin is not as weakly struck as appears in the photos), why not spend $50 to resubmit the coin if it will grow $100 in value?

At any rate, I will be taking the coin to Whitman Philly to be appraised for free by the NGC team. I will make my decision according to their recommendations.

Well, I took the plunge, and just send it off for an Early Bird ReGrade.

If I am right, it will come back somewhere between 64 and 65 (64+?), and will have been worth it.

If not, then I will need to look in the mirror and rethink my grading capabilities.

Mind you, of the 14 peace dollars I own, this is the only one I think is upgradeable.

My point is... if I am fairly confident the coin will upgrade to MS-64 (which I am, the obverse fields are flawless, and the coin is not as weakly struck as appears in the photos), why not spend $50 to resubmit the coin if it will grow $100 in value?

At any rate, I will be taking the coin to Whitman Philly to be appraised for free by the NGC team. I will make my decision according to their recommendations.

Because most likely you will just be wasting $ 50, which is what I think you just did here. $ 100 retail does not mean you will get $ 100 more when you sell it for a bump up in grade. Bottom line maybe you could get $ 75 more for the coin at a higher grade and it cost you $ 50 to do it.

Good Luck .

The only thing is that i don't plan on selling this coin, so i am not worried about resale. I am more concerned about having higher quality coins in my set. Easier and cheapest way to do so with this particular coin is an upgrade. We should know in about 3 weeks.

If not, then I will need to look in the mirror and rethink my grading capabilities.

I have done that myself, many times. :grin:

I think it's an honest MS63 and it might have a shot at MS64. Good luck!

Thanks. It is in fact a MS-63. I think it deserves 64, and agree that the strike prevents gem status.
The strike isn't the problem - the coin looks to have too many abrasions for a higher grade. And I would have guessed it graded somewhere between AU58 and MS62, had I not known the grade.

Thanks. It is in fact a MS-63. I think it deserves 64, and agree that the strike prevents gem status.
The strike isn't the problem - the coin looks to have too many abrasions for a higher grade. And I would have guessed it graded somewhere between AU58 and MS62, had I not known the grade.

Thanks for your insight.

If you are seeing too many abrasions, it is only a result of shoddy photography.

The obverse is virtually flawless.

The only mark on the reverse is the reed mark above the 'ONE'.

Rest assured that I am not delusional about this coin. I have NGC MS-64's that should be 63's if not lower because of excess chatter. This coin deservers an upgrade.

It was officially marked as received today at NGC, so we shall see in a few more days, since I got Early Bird which is running at 12 days right now.

Jersey I am not trying to be an A-hole, however based on other posts your grading skills need work. For whatever reason you just don’t think the grades NGC assigns to your coins are correct. It is very unlikely you will get an upgrade here. I agree with Mark Feld that based on your photos the coin would grade Au 58 - MS62 . The TPG’S have become rather tight, if you submit the coin in the original holder I doubt they will upgrade the coin from an MS 63 to MS 64. You can always crack it out and risk getting a lower grade. Just leave the coin in the MS 63 holder. If you want an MS 64 go buy one and sell this coin.

Mark T...

Please point me to a post I made that suggests my grading skills need work.

I hate to keep reiterating... but the pictures are not indicative of the quality of this coin. I am not some newbie collector who can't discern a 63 from a 65, or can't detect a cleaning.

And then you state that I don't think that NGC grades are correct....

That is harsh statement considering that this 1935 is the only one of my 14 Peace Dollars that I think is undergraded. Agreeing with 13 out of 14 grades shows I have confidence in NGC's skills, and that I am not delusional.

The coin has already been submitted, in it's holder, for a ReGrade. It is already in NGC's system, and I should get a grade within 10 business days.

How about a friendly wager on the results of the ReGrade?

Sorry, I mixed you up with another person from a different thread.

I take back the grading comment .

As for the wager - Based on the picture I don’t think you will get an upgrade.

But then you have the coin in hand so I am at a disadvantage judging solely on a picture.

Sorry, I mixed you up with another person from a different thread.

I take back the grading comment .

As for the wager - Based on the picture I don’t think you will get an upgrade.

But then you have the coin in hand so I am at a disadvantage judging solely on a picture.

Fair enough. When the coin comes back, one of us will have a moral victory. :-)

Mark T...

I hate to keep reiterating... but the pictures are not indicative of the quality of this coin..

If that is the case, what is the point in soliciting grading opinions, which must be based on those images? It's hard enough to provide meaningful grade guesses, even when images are excellent and portray the coins accurately. ;)

Mark T...

I hate to keep reiterating... but the pictures are not indicative of the quality of this coin..

If that is the case, what is the point in soliciting grading opinions, which must be based on those images? It's hard enough to provide meaningful grade guesses, even when images are excellent and portray the coins accurately. ;)

:)

Mark T...

Touche.

Photos make it difficult to tell but it looks AU50/55 to me. Seems the Reverse is fairly weak but there is some wear on the Eagle's breast. Also seems to be some wear on Liberty's hair on the Obverse.

Still a great looking piece from what I can tell!