• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just stole a POP 1 NGC Roosevelt Dime !!! WOW !!!

22 posts in this topic

It was 10:30 pm 7-30-2010. I was searching through ebay, when I came across a seller selling a roosevelt dime 2010-D NGC SMS MS69FT . I paused for a quick second,knowing that they just came out. I know I needed it for my registry. I almost fell out of my bed when I seen the price he was asking was 99.00 with free shipping or best offer. He had the description and the picture was not in the NGC case yet. In his description he gave the certification number. I jumped to NGC's website and typed in the certification number. Wow.. The seller was dead on accurate. I scrolled down to NGC's Population report. I clicked on the on the POP. It said the pop was currently unavailable for this coin. This means only one thing. The seller recieved the e-mail from NGC saying the coin has been shipped. He hurried up on e-bay and listed the item. So now , there is a POP 1 on ebay for 99.00 or best offer. I started shaking. I would have gladly paid 300.00 for this coin . A POP 1 is hard to find. I know from experience that they probably be more more 2010-D NGC SMS MS69FT's in the future. But is some years there are only 2 known so far. I couldnt take that chance. I hurried up to ebay and told myself that I will leave a" best offer "and if he doesnt take it by the morning . I wil hit the" buy it now". I put in a movie and stayed on my lap top till 1:30. I kept refreshing the page hopeing the coin was still there ,or a message saying congradulations, you won the item with the best offer. I went to bed uneasy,knowing anyone could see that coin and hit the 'buy it now " button. I tossed and turned half the night. I got up at 6:13 am. I said thats it, this is my coin. The hell with the" Best Offer". I am going to buy it now. I cant take that risk of losing it. I opened my labtop. went to e-bay. I logged in and it said I have 1 item I need to pay for. I woke up immediatly and started to do a little dance. I couldnt be more happier this morning. The seller accepted my offer of 80.00 with shipping included. I stole this coin !!!!.

I wouldn't say you "stole" it by any means. I would say you paid a fair price for it. The SMS coins are made to a much higher standard and generally grade much higher than their business strike counterparts. While 69FT is nothing to sneeze at, you have to remember that this coin, if cracked out, would be worth about $1.

Congrats Paul, nicely done. I hope it's one of those years where the POP stays low so it stays a good deal. Either way, it sounds like an entertaining night.

One more thing, for the extra $19 bucks, you could have gotten a good nights sleep knowing you already had the coin. Just a thought.

Dan

If there is a coin that I want or am looking for and it becomes available on a BIN at a reasonable price I just hit the BIN box. There's no since taking the chance that it won't be there when you come back when there are others out there looking for the same type of coins.

For the price i paid for it... I will never regret it

I wouldn't put money on this. There are many collectors who do not collect modern coins for purposes of registries, and there are probably 100s of them in mint sets. Few care to open the mint sets and risk the certification fees in fear of receiving an "inferior" grade. As time progresses and more of the higher end sets enter the market place, conscientious collectors such as yourself will start slabbing them and the populations will probably soar. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see the coins selling for half of what you paid.

For the price i paid for it... I will never regret it

I wouldn't put money on this. There are many collectors who do not collect modern coins for purposes of registries, and there are probably 100s of them in mint sets. Few care to open the mint sets and risk the certification fees in fear of receiving an "inferior" grade. As time progresses and more of the higher end sets enter the market place, conscientious collectors such as yourself will start slabbing them and the populations will probably soar. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see the coins selling for half of what you paid.

I agree with above atatement. There are FAR, FAR too many moderns that haven't been graded yet, esp. one as new as 2010! It is still a great priece, though, I think you did well. It's certainly better than paying 3k like for some of the other ones and I think it will take a long time for these ungraded coins to hit the certified market, so who knows when you'll get another chance.