• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you folks think.....

21 posts in this topic

I'm on the fence on this one.MS 63 or MS 64.Larger closeups would help. I'd guess I'll say 64.the only feature that really stands out id the breast feathers. really nice. This is an expensive Morgan to find in MS 64 and above.

I'm on the fence on this one.MS 63 or MS 64.Larger closeups would help. I'd guess I'll say 64.the only feature that really stands out id the breast feathers. really nice. This is an expensive Morgan to find in MS 64 and above.

isn't the 81-s one of the most common ones??? either way i am going with MS64, the reverse is very nice, free of marks, good detail. The obverse is what is going to hold this coin back from a 65+

What is wrong with the last digit of the date? Is it damaged or is it the product of a grease-filled die? I zoomed in on it, but still couldn't tell.

If this is an 1881-S, then I'd say it's MS63 because of the lack of detail in her hair.

Chris

I'm going to say 63 or 64. I think the weak strike and the mark on the cheak take away from being a solid 64. The reverse is very nice though.

Well the bigger pic of the Obv does make me rethink my grades. A couple nics that I couldn't see will put my guess down to 64 and maybe 65 on a good day.

isn't the 81-s one of the most common ones??? either way i am going with MS64, the reverse is very nice, free of marks, good detail. The obverse is what is going to hold this coin back from a 65+

At second look,after yiur post, I thought you might be right that it's an 81S,but the 2nd pic shows clearly it's a an 87s. And also by the 2nd photo I could be persuaded it's acually a 65. I can't tell how big the mark on the obverse field is though.It could still hold it back.

Thank you all for your opinions, I also thought it would be graded at least MS64. I was shocked and extremely disappointed when it came back as MS62. Do you know if there is any way to appeal their decision?

Thanks again,

Warren

101841.jpg.0bfa0c8d613078deac07f73316ac3d15.jpg

101842.jpg.c1a61ab33d0283a4a40124af304582c3.jpg

Thank you all for your opinions, I also thought it would be graded at least MS64. I was shocked and extremely disappointed when it came back as MS62. Do you know if there is any way to appeal their decision?

Thanks again,

Warren

Yeah,although it is difficult to grade from a photo or scan even more so,I' gonna say,out of 45 coins I've submitted,at least six disagreed vehemently about. last year,there was a "presidential revue" at NGC on any coin requesting it. I believe it was discontinued for abuse,according to NGC. I believe It has been replaced to an extent by the "appearance review"and in your your case I say it's worth it.Try it. my subs didn't go that badly as I thought,but I still want to resubit 3-5 as inferior grade. \

For instance,on of my very best Morgans,though very common, I bought as raw was returned to me after a full 6 weeks as MS 64. Obviously to us it has a MS64 PL .Not even my grade . NGC has gotten very strict recently and who knows if an appeal will ever work again,.Is mot even trying going to help or hurt? Looking forward to geting hosed.

I thinking a MS63. The reverse is a 65+ but the obverse just has too much chatter. The field in the obverse is fairly clean which might just lift it to 64. After a second look, lets go with MS64!

The date is a focal area and the hit on the 7 there does detract. Relatively clean fields and average strike for 1887-S which is known for above average strike. Very clean Reverse. I disagree with NGC they were too severe with the down grade. This is overall a MS64 with a grade subtraction for the date hit. MS63

$ilverHawk