• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry Coin Manager - "OFFICIAL COMMENTS THREAD"
1 1

103 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi Tim C:

Thanks for your comments. While the new system is technically odorless, we are keen on eliciting any and all constructive comments that we can. Just so that I understand, what about the current Custom Sets display do you not like? or what did you really like about the old view?

We have received comments about the number of items shown in the main Custom Sets List View. The number of items shown will increase from 10 to 50 next week. We’re also going to make the Owner’s Description visible on the main screen, again in response to the loss of Slot Comments from the main List View.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Tim C:

Thanks for your comments. While the new system is technically odorless, we are keen on eliciting any and all constructive comments that we can. Just so that I understand, what about the current Custom Sets display do you not like? or what did you really like about the old view?

We have received comments about the number of items shown in the main Custom Sets List View. The number of items shown will increase from 10 to 50 next week. We’re also going to make the Owner’s Description visible on the main screen, again in response to the loss of Slot Comments from the main List View.

Regards,

Scott

Dear Scott,

The old system of the “Signature Sets” when it was displayed for the public to see had the first column what ever you named the slot and the second column was for the owners comments.

Example, I was using the “Signature Sets” to display our Kennedy Half Dollar varieties. We didn’t want to limit ourselves to just the small handful of varieties that NGC and PCGS recognize from the Cherrypickers Guide so we were collecting based on the CONECA listings. In the owners comments column we had the CONECA die numbers and in the slot name we had the date (mint mark) so anyone looking at the set from the public page could see which variety it was.

Under the new “Custom Set”, these columns are not there and anyone looking at the set will not be able to make out what it is all about.

Plus under the old system, when you were looking at a set in the “Signature Sets”, you could see the whole set on one page and not have to keep clicking the next page button and then the back browser.

Sorry for the rant,

Tim

EDITED TO ADD: If you can increase the number of items to view on a page from 10 to 50, why not have it the way it used to me - the whole set just like you do on the "Competitive Sets".

Edited by Tim C

• Administrator

In the owners comments column we had the CONECA die numbers and in the slot name we had the date (mint mark) so anyone looking at the set from the public page could see which variety it was.

Under the new “Custom Set”, these columns are not there and anyone looking at the set will not be able to make out what it is all about.

Sorry for the rant,

Tim

EDITED TO ADD: If you can increase the number of items to view on a page from 10 to 50, why not have it the way it used to me - the whole set just like you do on the "Competitive Sets".

We looked at hundreds of Signature Sets. The truth is that most people didn't use both Slot Comments and Owner's Description and no two users used them the same way. I like the way that you were using them, but the concept wasn't widely understood.

Your slot comments are now in the first part of your Owner's comments which will be visible after the modification. We'll do this in the best way to allow the set owner to make an attractive presentation of his coins. And we'll do it very soon.

Signature Sets were limited to 150 items, and Custom Sets do not have a limit. That's why we needed to introduce some pagination. We also want sets to load in a way that offers good performance, and sending info about 50 items means that the page load will be quick. It might make sense for us to have a view all option or allow the viewer to set the number of rows, but the default will be 50.

I think we're addressing your comments pretty directly, and you'll see the results next week.

Signature Sets were limited to 150 items, and Custom Sets do not have a limit. That's why we needed to introduce some pagination. We also want sets to load in a way that offers good performance, and sending info about 50 items means that the page load will be quick. It might make sense for us to have a view all option or allow the viewer to set the number of rows, but the default will be 50. [/Quote]

I know the "Signature sets" were limited to 150 coins, that is why we had to break the set up to a PART A, B, and C. Are you now saying that we can have them ALL in one set? It would be great if we could.

Tim

I have a few additional problems, but I really like the new website. In time I know I will like things all the more. First, I use IE8 and firefox and I have found firefox more responsive and faster. Tonight, I tried to send a message to W.K.F. in response to his recent journal post. I always check the box for cc to my e-mail. Tonight when I checked the box I did not get a cc. This is my first attempt to send a message via the new website. I tried to resend the message thinking I missed something, same result. In all cases I got the message confirming that my message was sent. Since I doubt my message got through, I sent a message for him to confirm, which as of now he has not responded. I also wonder if I am receiving messages others maybe sending me. I sent the messages 8/1/10 between about 5:30 and 5:55 central time. Next when I try edit a coin from the collection manager and I click the other tabs in the edit window, if I have carriage returns in the owner description, I get the error "You have entered some invalid text in the previous page.HTML code is not accepted." The characters for a carriage return appear as "

", when I delete these characters I am able to choose the other tabs and make whatever edits I wish. I kind of feel like a beta tester and want to continue to offer positive feedback. Thank you for taking the bold incentive to upgrade the CS website to the state of the art website it is becoming. In the past I have worked with two different coin cataloging software packages. In the last week I have received solicitations to upgrade both. I will not be upgrading either, but am throwing my lot in Collectors Society. In a way this may be the highest form of praise. I do still maintain a backup spreadsheet, but I do this for my own personal reasons to learn excel.Gary

Wow I can't even cut and paste the illegal html characters let me re-type them, interesting the real carriage return is posted. At any rate here goes < br / > < br / >.

• Administrator

I know the "Signature sets" were limited to 150 coins, that is why we had to break the set up to a PART A, B, and C. Are you now saying that we can have them ALL in one set? It would be great if we could.

Tim

Yes, these sets can be merged into one set. The process of doing this is quick, too. You can select the set from left slider menu in the the Collection Manager and the select all the coins in the set using the All link. Then hit the Add to Custom Set button at the bottom of the screen and choose the set you want to add them to.

You may have to spend a bit of time to sort them properly, which is always a challenge in a very large set.

Also, this doesn't delete the old sets, so they will be displayed until you either delete them or hide them from public view.

• Administrator

Hi gherrmann44,

We're addressing the HTML description conflicts as this has been reported. No issues had been identified previously with the Contact Member form, so I'll have this looked at right away.

We really did design the Collection Manager to be a complete solution and there are some very neat features coming that build on the basic controls and reports that are now live. I do appreciate your positive feedback.

Regards,

Scott

Hi and first of all I would to say "GREAT JOB" with the new site. I like all the features that have been added and over all, a very enjoyable experience.

I do have one question about running a report on my coins. I will use my SAEs as an example. When I run an inventory report...the coins come up in the report in no particular order. They seem to be all over the place. With most of my reports, I perfer them placed in order of the coin date. Is this a problem with that feature or am I missing/forgetting an option when I run my reports.

Jeffrey

Very interesting design. I was quite taken how well it worked. Youse guys did a good job.

BTW... it works just fine on an iMac running Snow Leopard using Safari 5, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. I also had no problems using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux on a virtual machine created by Parallels.

As for those defiantly using IE7 because it allegedly works, please note that there are security issues that will leave you open to attack. I do this security stuff for a living and only use IE for internal programs that use MS tools (Sharepoint... and I wish I never had to use that!). I never use IE to surf the web. For that, I have Firefox and Safari under Windows that does not leave me exposed to Internet-based security risks.

For my one suggestion: on the page that shows what is in a particular set, you can only see four and the most of a fifth entry. Can you make that box bigger? I would like the option to see more of my set at a glance. Let me decide if I want to scroll a box or the whole page rather than limit my view.

Otherwise, it looks real good!

Scott

I have played with the software extensively. Conclusions:

1) For someone starting off with a new set, its a good tool as it has more fields, features etc.

2) For those migrating the sets, the data is as good as the prior version - i.e. you can not add to it or utilize the new fields and the only way to do so is to delete and add the coins from scratch. For me, with over 300 coins this is quite and undertaking otherwise there is built in inconsitency between old set and any new additions to it.

3) Many glitches that I assume will correct in description fields, images, grades (MS-58 etc.)

For me #2 is the critical piece and I will need to contemplate if I have the energy/desire to re-build the sets, given the limited migration.

I give Scott a grade of 10/10 for patience and responsiveness which is what makes NGC stand out as an organization.

Thank you,

Zohar

I spent some more time with the platform as well as reading the feedback and future plans for this platform. I figured our the user logic and it seems to me that this is on its way to become the best hosted coin management platform around.

I am hopeful this will help expand the community, share collecting themes, and build up the forum stickiness.

I am appreciative of the work and dedication, Scott. We look forward to updates on the feature additions coming soon.

Zohar

• Administrator

Hi Tim:

We made a couple of changes to the display of Custom Sets last week. Now the Owner Comments are shown in the main list view of your Set. I hope this will allow you to display information in the way that you want.

We looked at hundreds and hundreds of sets before we elected to merge the information in Slot Comments into Owner Comments. It turns out that very few members were using both fields, and almost always a coin description was put into the Slot Comment field. I don’t have the exact stats with me but it was something like fewer then 10% of all Signature Sets had both fields occupied, and fewer than 5% of the actual slots.

If there is a particular way you’d like to show your Sets, let me know by PM or posting here. We’ll try to figure out a way to a make this work for you.

Regards,

Scott

I'm a newby at attemping to use the Collection Manager, and am having a hard time entering coins not graded by NGR or other grading services. Here are some of the issues with which I am struggling:

1. Does the term "raw" include coins that are encased in the hard plastic cases directly from the US mint, (i.e. Prestige Sets, Commemorative Sets, and Mint Sets)?

2. Is it possible to intput various Proof Sets in the Collection Manager or only single coins?

3. Why is it when inputting raw coins, no current value is indicated? Is this to be input manually?

If I can learn the answers to these questions, I may be able to figure out the other issues.

Thanks!

Ted

• Administrator

Hi Ted,

Here are some answers for you:

1. The term raw really refers to coins that have not been graded and encapsulated by a third party grading service. So that would include cases from the US Mint as they do not have a grading opinion associated with them. That is how we intended the field to be used. Plastic cases from the mint, while offering protection, are also not tamper proof. They can be opened.

2. Your input options into the system right now are either one coin at a time, or if you own NGC coins you can go under the "My Collection" menu and use Bulk Coin Import. However, the option you are asking about (adding an entire proof set in one shot) is not currently available. It sounds like a good idea, though!

3. Seeing a guide value on a coin is dependent on a few things.

First, we need to be able to associate a very specific definition of what that coin is with the entry in order to be sure we're matching up the correct price. The way you do this when adding a coin is to use the search terms tool. If you can identify a coin from the list that way then we can be sure that we know precisely what the coin is.

Second, we need to be sure to have a grade filled in. Currently, for some coins the lower grade value have a known issue displaying a guide price, but the fix for that is coming soon.

Third, a price need to exist. Our price guide is very complete for U.S. coins, but world and ancient coins will generally not have prices associated with them right now.

I'm still getting the hang of it myself. One area that has been throwing me is getting it to sort denominations in order, instead of $10s between $1s and $5s, and silver dollars, "S$1," at the bottom, below everything else.

One quick fix that makes it sort any way I want is the ITEM NAME column. I just name items using my own code--say, starting with denomination as dollars. My half cent would be "$00.005 1806 half cent, blah blah leaves and dentacles." Then, I can remove the now redundant DENOMINATION and ITEM DESCRIPTION columns.

I welcome being able to do custom sets, because I'm more interested in simply getting to the finish line than trying to be number one in a set, and some of my set ideas are close to but not exactly in line with the competitive sets.

Two items of note:

-If I am viewing page 2 or 3 of my registry sete, and view the contents of any set, when i hit the back button it takes me to page 1, not the page that I was previously viewing.

-The column that allowed one to delete multiple sets is missing. If I want to delete sets, I must go through the process repeatedly, one set at a time.

Thank you.

Two items of note:

-If I am viewing page 2 or 3 of my registry sete, and view the contents of any set, when i hit the back button it takes me to page 1, not the page that I was previously viewing.

Thank you.

I noticed this as well.

• Administrator

That is annoying! We're looking into some fixes for this.

Hi Tim:

We made a couple of changes to the display of Custom Sets last week. Now the Owner Comments are shown in the main list view of your Set. I hope this will allow you to display information in the way that you want.

We looked at hundreds and hundreds of sets before we elected to merge the information in Slot Comments into Owner Comments. It turns out that very few members were using both fields, and almost always a coin description was put into the Slot Comment field. I don’t have the exact stats with me but it was something like fewer then 10% of all Signature Sets had both fields occupied, and fewer than 5% of the actual slots.

If there is a particular way you’d like to show your Sets, let me know by PM or posting here. We’ll try to figure out a way to a make this work for you.

Regards,

Scott

I was part of that 10%... And used both on almost every slot. I put months into perfecting that set up and, as if the comment combination wasn't bad enough, your change to display the comments on the main view has ruined the appearance of my set.

Before, I could have a simple, short slot comment about what the coin was/why it was distinctive, and a long, elaborate informative owner's comment without having the long commentary show up on the main view. Now, the entire text shows up in the main page. The narrow column width makes the comments stretch on forever. The set can't even be easily viewed and appreciated as a whole now.

I would have preferred it that the comments weren't visible from the main view as they were before, but hey, I guess this is what I get for having a life and needing to be gone for a few months.

You obviously can't make everyone happy, but at least the old system came pretty close.

It's also "nice" to see that I'll pretty much have to re-build the entire set from the begining in order make it work properly because of this transition.

It would be nice in the edit coin feature if we could change a coins status from raw to NGC graded without deleting the coin and re-entering it. I just sent in a few raw coins from my inventory for grading and having the coins returned with grades, cannot figure out how to change this status. Thanks.

Gary

My biggest issue at this time is that when adding NGC coins, the fields are not populated and are not editable. I get blanks in my set for country as well as details unlike PCGS or raw coins entered. The look and feel of the set is therefore inconsistent and I do believe this is a major fix that is due.

Would you please check the scores for the 1887 RD MS65 Indian Head cents? I know that the 1887 is scarcer in gem condition and more valuable ( a previous post seems to indicate that this is factored in), yet is is ranked equally with my 1879 RD MS65 coin. Numismedia reports that the '79 is worth around $1,200 and the '87 around $1,800. P.S. Please raise the score on my 1887 and not lower it on the 1879! I think the 1879 RD MS65 score is in line with the rest of the values!

Thanks for your time and consideration.

P.S. Since you can't run two version of Internet Explorer on one PC, there is a still a good workaround if you don't want to upgrade from IE7.

Download Firefox browser: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

That way you can have a browser that is super speedy with Collectors Society and keep IE7 for other sites. Just a thought.

I've tried Apple's Safari for Windows - it appears to run Javascript faster than even Firefox. I like to use both of them. I haven't tried it with Chrome, but it seems like a viable option as well.

The one thing that PCGS has that you have not done over here is on this site is historical #1 set listings by year in a format that is easy to access.. I am sure that you are aware of the feature ATS which shows all of the all time best sets that have been on top of that particular registry over its history.

You may not have the historical data for all the sets that have been in every registry contact since 2002 but you do have the data on all #1 winning sets for each of these years in each category of various set registries, including all Mint and Proof sets that have won awards and have attained first place in each of the preceding years since 2002.

Would you consider putting together an historical listing by category, of each top set in each registry since 2002? This would be a good historical reference and narrative of each collector who has had winning registry sets during this sites history. I believe that this would be a worthy project for you to undertake and many collectors would appreciate seeing their top sets listed in an historical listing perspective and format. Many of us have spent much time and money for winning sets with ave no visibility on this site. PCGS has a distinct marketing advantage in this area. Would you consider adding this feature to your site, please?

The one thing that PCGS has that you have not done over here is on this site is historical #1 set listings by year in a format that is easy to access.. I am sure that you are aware of the feature ATS which shows all of the all time best sets that have been on top of that particular registry over its history.

You may not have the historical data for all the sets that have been in every registry contact since 2002 but you do have the data on all #1 winning sets for each of these years in each category of various set registries, including all Mint and Proof sets that have won awards and have attained first place in each of the preceding years since 2002.

Would you consider putting together an historical listing by category, of each top set in each registry since 2002? This would be a good historical reference and narrative of each collector who has had winning registry sets during this sites history. I believe that this would be a worthy project for you to undertake and many collectors would appreciate seeing their top sets listed in an historical listing perspective and format. Many of us have spent much time and money for winning sets with ave no visibility on this site. PCGS has a distinct marketing advantage in this area. Would you consider adding this feature to your site, please?

I agree 100%