• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry Coin Manager - "OFFICIAL COMMENTS THREAD"
1 1

103 posts in this topic

First of all, congratulations to NGC on this new effort. I'm excited about the changes and am already entering my raw coins into the new collection software.

I do have a question, and it may just be something I'm missing because I haven't fully explored the new setup. Is it possible to take raw coins I have entered and have them "fill a slot" in a series set, the way we currently do with competitive sets? I'm hoping this is the case, so I can see how "complete" my various sets are, whether graded or not.

If this is not currently possible, I hope it's in the works. There's seems to be two ways to go about this. One would be to allow raw coins to be entered into existing competitive sets (for 0 points of course, and you could even hide them from public view). Another is to allow the creation of custom sets that have the same pre-existing "slots" that the competitive sets have.

Again, thanks for the changes and I look forward to figuring them all out.

I really like the addition of this new tool.

I do have one request however. I think there should be an option on the price guide value to fill it in manually. Although no price guide may exist, there are auction results, private sales, etc, where real values are known.

Overall, a really nice tool!

Edited by Scott_Schechter

• Administrator

Ohiodimes - Thanks for your comments. There is an Owner Estimate feature that allows you to supply a value in a separate column. It should be live soon.

I've pinned this thread to the top of the forum, and re-named it the official comment thread. (Thank you, Ohiodimes, for letting me take this liberty with your thread.)

If anyone has questions or comments, please post them here.

We're obviously proud of this new tool and we hope you love it. We also want to make the site as good as it can possibly be.

• Administrator

Buddypal- it is possible to create a privately visible Custom Set that includes both raw and certified coins, but not possible to fill slots in Competitive Sets with raw coins. There is a lot of underlying logic to achieve "slot validation," i.e. making sure that a coin is eligible for a particular slot to then be awarded Registry points which does not work for raw coins.

You can design your own Custom Set that mirrors a Competitive Set's composition, and complete it with raw coins, certified coins and wanted coins (coins you don't yet own) to see the full view of the Set in Collection Manager.

Architecht may have some thoughts on how this can be completed most efficiently or by copying a Custom Set that already exists.

• Administrator

Hi JCM,

Is it site pages in general, or just the order status page itself?

Well it is different..My problem is...

1. the new site is slower than a legless midget chasing a chicken

2. When you are in your control pannel, you cant click on Set Type to review the

coin leaders in ranking .Now you need to back completey out to see all the

set types to see everyones ranking

3. when you go to the leaders ranking and you go to page 2 or more,then you click on a certain person, and then you press back, it takes you back to page 1 instead of the page you were on.

• Administrator

Paul Kiraly 3 -

1. You could have said, "slower than molasses." We're looking into this. Also, Internet Explorer 8 will perform much better than IE7 because of JavaScript issues. This is a recommended upgrade.

2. This enhancement to click a set is coming soon.

3. We're not able to replicate this issue, but we'll keep looking at it.

When I attempt to enter data into column fields I keep getting the small white box, rotating wheel inside and the word "Working", as I type. It's almost as though each character entered needs to be saved before it will accept another. Makes it hard to enter data without waiting for a curser, enter one character, wait for curser, enter one character, etc. I am using IE8. Any thoughts? Thanks

• Administrator

Hi Penny,

Those white boxes at the top are filter fields. They automatically apply a filter based on what you type into them. The way it works is that if you pause while typing a certain amount of time, the filter is applied. If you keep typing, it waits for you to finish.

If users find this troublesome, we may raise the amount of time a user must pause before the filter applies, so keep the feedback coming.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Hi guys,

You can adjust the column size, the order, and customize which columns show.

Click and drag the columns back and forth in the header. Click the right edge of the column to re-size. Click customize columns to see a list of fields. Drag new fields out and place them where you want them, or drag existing fields TO the list to remove them from your list display.

Also, while you cannot currently export that grid, you can run reports and export those.

I have a question with regard to pics.

There is a 120KB limit on competitive registry pics.

But in Sig sets, the limit is 200KB.

Can the competitive limit be upped to 200KB as well?

So far looks neat, but need to play more.

Would also like to mention that the registry needs a direct link of some sort to your control panel page

(form here) http://www.ngccoin.com/registry/index.aspx

unless I am missing something

Edited by MBA101

I've been experimenting with entering raw coins and it's mostly very easy. One problem I've had is that two coins I've entered--both are raw liberty nickels graded VG-8--don't show a value. I know the online price guide has values for these coins, so that's not the problem. Thanks again for this new service.

I had sent Scott a seperate e-mail. I am dissapointed and will likely stop using the platform unless revamped.

1) Speed is extremely slow. Takes several minutes to access individual coins. Database needs to be tweaked for speed. Database does not load with coin description when typing in - further slowing process.

2) Updating coins is not intuitive. Old version much easier to use.

3) Import of old data is not consistent with the fields available in this one creating inconsistency in look and feel for new entries vs old.

4) Modifying existing entries doesnt work (for example upgrade, entering a new slab # isnt allowed). You need to remove old add new.

5) User flow is not intuitive.

Its a shame that NGC did not contemplate the impact on existing set and user friendliness. I have invested many man hours to enable my sets see this being lost. Proper quality control should be applied before releasing such major software version.

The web and the website was a key differentiator and draw for me to visit the site and if NGC is serious about this, it should roll back to old version and not use its client as testers of the software.

Nothing personal, just honest feedback from a very frustrated user.

• Administrator

Hi Zo444,

I have a few quick questions for you.

1. What web browser are you using? IE? Firefox? And what version? Specifically, we have noted on the site that IE7 will be a much slower experience and we recommend that you upgrade to IE8 or switch to firefox.

2. What is your internet connection? How fast is it?

I have questions on most of your other points, but let's start there.

• Administrator

Hi Zo444:

I just want to comment publicly on the browser issue because this was a major point of consideration during the site development. Everything that we have implemented is fully supported in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7), but, and this is a big "BUT," performance of the site will be much better using Internet Explorer 8 (IE8).

I am not a tech guy so the details were a bit lost on me. For those interested, IE8 has a new -script engine that makes web pages based on JavaScript or Asynchronous JavaScript and XML (AJAX) much faster than in previous versions. Our website new uses a lot of these scripts.

When planning the redesign, we chose the most powerful and best controls that we could. That was the top priority. The language and controls on the new Collectors Society site are without question the best tools available. There was a problem, though. They were slower on IE7. From my point of view, I didn't want to make the website slow for anybody.

To analyze the issue, we looked at web browser usage figures. IE7 was released in 2006 and currently accounts for 14% of all web browsers. IE8 was released in 2009 and accounts for 28% of web browsers. The percentage of Collectors Society users is higher for both IE7 and IE8 than the global average, but the number of Collectors Society members using IE7 is decreasing every month.

I think that it’s hugely obnoxious and invasive to ask someone to update their web browser just to use our website. But at the same time, internet technology is rapidly changing and improving, so we were caught. The software code that we use of course conforms to the current best practices of the industry. It’s simply does not perform optimally on a four-year-old web browser. It works fine, but it is just not as fast as it can be. The great advantage is that an upgrade to IE8 will similarly improve performance on millions of other websites as well.

I do sincerely hope that this at least explains our reasoning to any users of IE7 who do not have the best experience but are hesitant to upgrade.

Regards,

Scott

To follow up on my earlier post, I'm now getting a $0.00 value for almost all older raw coins in lower grades. Probably an easy fix.

Edited by Buddypal

I want to input my two cents and suggest that NGC go full steam ahead, and not try to rollback any of the changes. It's not surprising there's a few bugs; it would be surprising if there weren't. Once the kinks are worked out, this system will give me lots more control over my collection to the point that I plan to delete the spreadsheet I currently use to track all my coins.

I'm not a computer expert, but I suspect some of the slowness is just everyone inputting coins under the new format. That will probably level out over time.

• Administrator

P.S. Since you can't run two version of Internet Explorer on one PC, there is a still a good workaround if you don't want to upgrade from IE7.

Download Firefox browser: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

That way you can have a browser that is super speedy with Collectors Society and keep IE7 for other sites. Just a thought.

• Administrator

I will add that if you are locked into IE7 for some particular reason, you can marginally improve performance by reducing the displayed rows to 25 and removing excess columns, but fundamentally there's not much we can do to speed up the site in IE7.

I won't presume to have a good handle on your reasons for not upgrading, but it's probably worth knowing that the speed difference is night and day.

Upgraded browser. I do not see much difference.

Additional observations:

My old data was moved over in what seems to be a data dump. I have HTML tags in description fields and no sequence for coins as I had them in prior set (by date). Given that data was not imported into fields i cant sort by date, description etc. which means I have to re-do my 300+ coin set from scratch.

User interface is engineer friendly not user friendly. I simply do not see the sequence for the user. I click on image on one of the coins, I get a box checked. Where is my image?? Don't know.

I added a new coin.... can't find it.

My suggestion stands - roll back to old version. Do the quality control/design work offline and relaunch. I have been feeling miserable given that my award winning set has lost the work done with it. I can not view it or edit it.

I ran a software business befpre and know what it is to release a product. This one is not market ready. Good intention, poor execution. Back to the drawing board is my suggestion.

I feel lousy as this took me months to put together and it seems to have been messed up to the point I can not modify, view or sort the set.

The old system was much better.... This new system "stinks" on what you can have for a public desplay. Bring back the signature sets so they can be displayed the way they used to be.

I may have to think about going over to the PCGS "showcase" sets..... This really stinks.