• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often do dealers comb registries for customers?

14 posts in this topic

Do dealers commonly wade through registries to find customers? Is this accepted practice?

I wouldn't like it if a dealer knew I was looking for a certain coin because he looked at my registry, then jacked up his asking price because he knew I was a serious player.

In my case its quite often. There are a group of dealers, and some part timers, that regularly check my Registry Set and email me with offers for newly graded coins. In general, I am happy that they do this.

But in most cases, since they know I am trying to complete the set, the asking price is quite inflated. Early on in my learning curve I jumped in way too soon on a couple of these offers frown.gif

So its a two-edged sword. On one hand I get the first shot at some newly graded items, but on the other I have to keep my self in check (not as easy as it sounds crazy.gif ) and pass on the offer if I feel its inflated.

Braddick,

You might be on to something. Anyone who collects what I collect is most certainly a few fries short of a happy meal. So maybe they think we are easy targets.

But, when it comes to my Franklins, no one has ever emailed me about those. I don't know what you collect, but I am sure my Franklins can match any set out there. On a good day, if the light is just right, you can usually just make out a slight hint of a liberty bell. Well, to be honest it helps if you know that its supposed be there.

Just in case you are interested...NO, its not for sale!

I got one unsolicited offer from a dealer through PCGS. They e-mailed me asking if I had any specific Type coins I was looking for. Met the guy at a show a few weeks later and got to see his inventory up close. Lot a nice early dollars, so down the road, we might do business.

I get e-mails from North American Trading and a couple of others for coins I have zero interest in. Maybe they didn't get my e-mail address from my registries (at least not here, or I'd be getting upgrade offers for 20 cent pieces).

I don't mind people giving me first shot, I just don't like being thought of as a sucker because I haven't registered particular coins a seller thinks he can unload on me at jacked up prices.

I have been targeted by email to a couple dealers that I did not solicit. North American Traders is one of these dealers. I just do not respond to them.:p

After I first entered my set on PCGS, I was bombarded with emails. And most of them were for coins I did not have listed but which I did own. The most funny part of a few of these offers was a guy in the northeast, who shall remain nameless, trying to offer me NGC MS 63 Morgans at well above PCGS 64 money, with the claim that they would make 64 at PCGS. Yeah, right.

It happens a lot with my Indian eagle set but I really don't mind. The coins I have left are hard to locate and I actually appreciate the help. I am not worried about being gouged because I know what the coins are worth and I won't pay a premium just to fill the hole quickly.

shirohniichan that's one of the reasons we show our email address so maybe somebody can help us locate coins we need. I've only gotten email from 1 or 2 dealers and they got my info from eBay deals but then again I don't list any Reg Sets that need 'vital' hard to get low pop coins.

Dealers and more than you might think are not only combing the registrys but also reading the boards. I had IrishMike on my name tag and more often than not, a dealer made a comment about the forums. I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised.