• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 Trade Dollar Genuine or Fake?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone see any problems with this coin asside from excessive wear? I think I get a great deal on it but was wondering if it is geniune and what you would put at it for a value. thanks. And these are the sellers pics so they pretty much suck. 1878traderev.jpg

1878trade.jpg

There is an old saying in the coin game: "Buy the book before you buy the coin." In other words, before you spend your hard-earned money on a coin, do some research, and learn as much about it as you can. Not only will you spend your money with more wisdom, but you will enjoy the learning, as well.

Hopefully, this wasn't too expensive a lesson. Just make sure that you learn something from it. :)

This item is a fake, and it's not even a close copy. Everything is wrong. The devices like the stars, the eagle and Ms. Liberty are all smaller than the artwork you see on the genuine piece. It's almost like a piece of play money it's so far off from the real thing.

Oh my....I know it is not a US Mint product, I don't think it's even a Chinese copy, even they make them better than this one.

Where was the seller located?

Good luck to you in the future.

It was actually a 2 coin deal and I was looking at a Morgan that was listed with it and this was just being sold with the Morgan. I don't know anything about trades so that is why I posted it. I didn't make an offer so nothing lost. thanks for all your quick responses though...saved me some dough

I don't want to sound mean, but if you didn't know that coin was a counterfeit, you shouldn't even be considering buying coins of that type, regardless of price.

As you are fairly new to the forum and may not be familiar with most members, I will give you a heads up. All of the negative responses that you received with this post are for your benefit. These gentlemen(ladies if any should respond) are of the utmost in character and knowledge regarding U.S. Coins(not dissing foreign here) and only have your best interests in mind. So please take the advice as it was meant and you will be better equipped in knowledge to make these purchases and as previously said will enjoy the hobby so much more. Best of luck and if I haven't already said to you, Welcome to the Forum.

Jim

If you buy trade dollars, it's good to be familiar with the different design styles-- this particular koin has a type 1 reverse, not used after 1876, which quickly outs it as a fake.

Does anyone see any problems with this coin asside from excessive wear? I think I get a great deal on it but was wondering if it is geniune and what you would put at it for a value. thanks. And these are the sellers pics so they pretty much suck. 1878traderev.jpg

1878trade.jpg

Pretty much says it all. ;)

fake_chinese_coin_dies.jpgchinese_fake_coin_minting.jpg

fake_morgans_made_in_china.jpgcounterfeit_coins_misc_from_china.jpg