• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICG GRADING VS NGC AND PCGS

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Would you every really buy them truly sight unseen though?  (Sight unseen does NOT mean you buy it without seeing it and then once it gets there you look at it and decide whether or not to keep it or send it back.  Sight unseen means you buy it without seeing it and as long as the holder says what it is supposed to it is yours, no returns.)  Too many people use the term sight unseen to mean purchased without having seen it in person yet, and if I don't like it I'll send it back.

Somebody else actually said that. I'm sorry I'm not that dealer. I always buy with understanding that I can return it for refund. Aren't Some Ebay sales final ? Also some dealers' sales are final if you pay over time (which is fair).

Ebay sales are not final.  Even if the seller indicates no returns you can still return them.  You may have to file a significantly not as described claim but you can return them.  Dealer sales over time may be final, but typically those are arranged after you have seen the coin so those aren't sight unseen either.

Buying with the understanding that you can return the coin if it is not satisfactory is not buying sight unseen.

I have a few ICG that will be cracked out and submitted to PCGS within the next few weeks via GC.  One is a 1866 Proof 2Cent currently graded PR66RB.  Have several other proof 2 centers that will also go in to PCGS as well with a few in older ANACS Holders including an 1870DDO.  I'm not very familiar with the 2c series but will report back when the grades come in.

1 hour ago, casman said:

I have a few ICG that will be cracked out and submitted to PCGS within the next few weeks via GC.  One is a 1866 Proof 2Cent currently graded PR66RB.  Have several other proof 2 centers that will also go in to PCGS as well with a few in older ANACS Holders including an 1870DDO.  I'm not very familiar with the 2c series but will report back when the grades come in.

What is the reason you are re-submitting? Understanding that you are not familiar with the series, are you doing so because of the perception ( or generally accepted and believed opinion) that the grading opinion will be better and/or more readily accepted, or that if the coins cross at that level (or maybe less), the coins would be easier to sell at a later date, or is it because of registry? Why are you submitting to PCGS and not NGC? You are submitting via GC. What is the reason?

You have a number of 2 cent pieces. If you are not familiar with the series, what prompted you to obtain the pieces, not knowing more about the series, without learning and being confident of your grading ability of the series?

Just curious, and no other reason. 

Resubmitting for lots of reasons.  1) it's an old collection and I've bought lots of stuff over the years  3) some of the slabs are badly scratched 4)  I expect some may upgrade a point.

By not being familiar I'm referring specifically to present interest and overall collector base.  I'm utilizing GC because of their discounted fees for grading, open channel to CAC and dislike Ebay and their ever increasing fees.

I actually look for ICG slabbed coins and I know others that do as well

I have found ICG to be very conservative and if I have cracked the coin out and submitted to the " Big 2" 4 out of 10 times will get a higher grade especially from PCGS NEVER a lower grade

The old ICG with the serial number on the front was accurate, and conservative on some coins.  Not so much the new ICG, they just don't have the quality control or capital to be competitive with the main two services. And their guarantee especially as regarding money grades is much lacking.  Under $200 coins I wouldn't be too concerned with them or Anacs for that matter.   

It all depends on the coin. But for MS65-MS66 non expensive coins my experience is that ICG is a little looser than PCGS And NGC by a grade or two. For expensive low population coins in MS67 ICG is much looser. Example an IKE in MS67 ICG can sell for under $100 while the same coin in PCGS MS67 will sell for about $2,000. 

Edit to correct my mistake.  Somehow  I wrote down wrong info on the new grade. Okay the grade is in.   I cracked an ICG 1866 Two-Cent piece graded Proof 66 RB and the result...PCGS PR-64 RB w/ CAC green bean, now pending listing at GC.  

I've decided to sell off parts of my collection as it's college time.  Sent approx.  300 coins to Greatcollections and so far very pleased. 

I once bought a monster toned 1938-d buffalo nickel in ICG MS68.  It really did look like a 68 believe me.  In auction it went for $1000, double the $500 that I paid for it.