• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 Shield Nickel--Repunched Date?

14 posts in this topic

Calling all Shield Nickel experts.

I read that there is a 1866 re-punched variety. What do you make of the date below? I that re-punching or strike doubling?

5C_1866.jpg

5C_1866_cropped.jpg

5C_1866_OBV.jpg

Also, any thoughts on a grade? Thanks!

i would say re-punched date and gradewise i would say high end vf+

and the multi coloration over the entire surface of the coin is due to a past cleaning

and again not uncommon with these coins and since the coin is 75% copper this is just the reaction of the copper with the past solvent used in the cleaning of this coin well dipping/cleaning of this coin

now the coin looks granular and this is the way 1866 nickels come as far as planchet preparation and the way they were made by the mint at the time

decent scarce with rays type coin

your welcome jeff!

is this your photography??

if so then heritage should hire you as the shield nickel photo is AMAZING!!

i wish you were close to me as i got some things for you to photograph

please share and post if you want to other coins in your collection on the coin board forum i would love to see your photography skills in your coins !!

your welcome jeff!

please share and post if you want to other coins in your collection on the coin board forum i would love to see your photography skills in your coins !!

Thanks for the kind compliments, Michael...

Yes, I photograph all of the coins that I submit here with questions about.

Is there a special forum just for coin photographs?

your welcome jeff!

your welcome jeff!

wow your photography skills are WAY above average and from my experiences in coin photos not taking them but seeing them in hand and then compairing them to the images in fact your photo skills for coins are in my opinion top in the coin photo field

unfortunately there is no coin photos forum there should be!! arch are you out there??

arch is the moderator that makes these decisions by the way (thumbs u and there should be a coin photo forum as in this big internet market you need good photos to sell coins or even to showcase them!

and this would be a good forum to ask questions and get answer's from fellow coin photographers

i bet this would be busy if there was such a forum!!

your welcome jeff!

your welcome jeff!

wow your photography skills are WAY above average and from my experiences in coin photos not taking them but seeing them in hand and then compairing them to the images in fact your photo skills for coins are in my opinion top in the coin photo field

unfortunately there is no coin photos forum there should be!! arch are you out there??

arch is the moderator that makes these decisions by the way (thumbs u and there should be a coin photo forum as in this big internet market you need good photos to sell coins or even to showcase them!

and this would be a good forum to ask questions and get answer's from fellow coin photographers

i bet this would be busy if there was such a forum!!

Thanks again for your compliments, Michael.

In order to do the best work, one needs good equipment. I don't have a copy stand, for example, which I think is essential for good coin photography.

I use a 18mp Canon 7D vDSLR and a Canon's latest professional 100mm f/2.8 L-series macro lens with hybrid image stabilization. That's why I can get "decent' hand-held results quickly (no tripod or copy stand).

Hi there g man .. sorry but form my experience i think your shield will not NGC .. sent stuff in like this myself and it has not graded. i would nave your coin conserved by them .. and it may possibly grade .. the scratches on the obverse would body bag i think..

5C_1866.jpg

5C_1866_OBV.jpg

you would not believe the shields i have had back in the BB over the years

sorry for editing your photos .. but being a shield fan .. i lke them this way :o

now to the question you asked.

I do not think it is a RPD sorry

5C_1866-1.jpg

If you look at the lower part of the shield you will see the movement of the die

now to the question you asked.

I do not think it is a RPD sorry

5C_1866-1.jpg

If you look at the lower part of the shield you will see the movement of the die

It is clear that the date is machine doubled, but is the rest of the coin also machine doubled, or could this be a Doubled Die as well?

The date is not repunched - it shows strike doubling only. Also, this is not a DDO - don't know what the poster who said it was a DDO sees. The design elements immediately above the date also show strike doubling.

For grade, it's either VF35 or EF40 IMO.