• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are NCS coins allowed in the NGC Registry?

15 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding NCS coins. Are they allowed in the NGC Registry? If so, how are they scored?

I understand that NGC Details coins are allowed and are weighted at 50% of the score given to a numerically graded coin of the same condition.

Thanks

Didn't they change that rule? I know they can go in signature sets but I think they made it so that NCS coins could be added at 50% the normal point value.

I have a question regarding NCS coins. Are they allowed in the NGC Registry? If so, how are they scored?

I understand that NGC Details coins are allowed and are weighted at 50% of the score given to a numerically graded coin of the same condition.

Thanks

Yes they are allowed!!

In competitive Registry sets, they will receive 50% of the point value assigned to a numerically-graded coin of corresponding detail. For example, an XF DETAILS graded coin will receive 50% of the score assigned to an XF40 graded coin.

FYI: About NCS coins

In the past, coins with problematic surface conditions were given Details Grades and were encapsulated by NGC’s affiliated conservation company, Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS). This service is being discontinued concurrent with the launch of NGC Details Grading, and all coins that were previously eligible for encapsulation at NCS will be certified by NGC under the Details Grading service. A new NCS CrossOver service is being introduced for $5 per coin. NCS-encapsulated coins can be details graded and encapsulated by NGC for this low service fee. Note that coins previously described as Genuine by NCS will be assigned details grades by NGC, and their surface conditions will be disclosed on the NGC Details Grading label.

Source: Link

Thanks for the comments and appreciate the help.

I am glad to hear NCS coins are accepted in the NGC Registry at 50% of the score assigned to a graded coin. I will not need to send in my few NCS coin for NGC reholdering (although the price is very reasonable as Schatzy mentioned).

If they are allowed in the NGC Registry, how do PCGS Genuine coins score?

PCGS does not provide a details grade on the label, so perhaps it is 1 as well.

I searched through several gold series in the NGC Registry, but did not find any PCGS Genuine coins.

Does anyone know if they are allowed in the NGC Registry?

This may be the only option for genuine coins with problems that are rejected for encapsulated by NGC, eg, coins with ‘Altered Surfaces’.

I searched through several gold series in the NGC Registry, but did not find any PCGS Genuine coins.

Does anyone know if they are allowed in the NGC Registry?

This may be the only option for genuine coins with problems that are rejected for encapsulated by NGC, eg, coins with ‘Altered Surfaces’.

Yes, here's a link!

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/AboutRegistry.aspx

Thanks ComicDonna.

PCGS coins with numeric grades are allowed in the NGC Registry, however, I am asking if PCGS Genuine coins can be included, eg, cleaned (92), altered surfaces (94), filed rims (84), scratched (95), etc.

Thanks ComicDonna.

PCGS coins with numeric grades are allowed in the NGC Registry, however, I am asking if PCGS Genuine coins can be included, eg, cleaned (92), altered surfaces (94), filed rims (84), scratched (95), etc.

Oops, sorry! I didn't see any of them either. All I can sugest is you find out through this link!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1773701/site_id/1#import

Guest Joiseygirl

NCS and PCGS Genuine coins are eligible for the NGC Registry. PCGS Genuine coins will receive a score 50% of Poor/About Good.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

Joiseygirl,

Thanks for the clarification. If I can summarize this thread, “problem” coins in NGC and NCS holders with details grades are allowed in the NGC Coin Registry and are weighted at 50% of the score given to a numerically graded coin in the same condition. PCGS Genuine coins are also allowed in the NGC Coin Registry and are weighted at 50% of the score given for the poor/about good (PrAg) grade. This makes sense since PCGS Genuine coins are not given a details grade.

This scenario should encourage some collectors to submit “problem” coins in ANACS, PCGS or other holders to NGC to receive a details grade for participation in the Registry. In a recent submission, I did exactly that, cracked out several gold coins in ANACS problem holders and submitted to NGC to receive details grades. This strategy worked for 2 of the 3 ANACS coins which received details grades. However, one coin previously in an ANACS MS60 Details Cleaned holder was returned back from NGC as “Altered Surface” and was not placed in a holder thus it is not eligible in NGC Registry. In this case, my only option to get the coin in the Registry would be to submit the coin to PCGS to be placed in a Genuine holder, however the score will be drastically lower.

I appreciate your help.