What the heck is whizzed?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

11,432 posts

I don't believe that this type of alteration is done all that much anymore, but in years past one would take a fine rotating tool such as a brush and would move it across the surface of a coin in order to impart the look of a higher grade. It would create a false brightness to the coin that would often fool folks into thinking a circulated coin was actually mint state. Upon close examination it is often possible to see wavy lines on the surfaces that are evidence of the moved metal.

15,660 posts

I agree with TomB that whizzing coins happens with much less frequency today. Unfortunately, it is a more sophisticated process (coins are spot-whizzed), and there are unquestionably a few whizzed coins in holders. But still, it's usually one of the easier alterations to recognize, and the grading services are rarely fooled.

11,753 posts

good thread and great responses

whizzing was a cottage industry in the 1960's for example in a building with 4 floors in nyny devoted to whizzing coins

might not be done much in the last 15 or so years but there are tons still out there in old time collections waiting to come out so i think in the next generation or so these will continually creep in the marketplace and the services might not be fooled but some of the whizzing jobs are so good you need an advanced eye with a more than a casual glance under a good haligon lamp to see

14,311 posts
excellent example and photos of a whizzed coin

Yes! One picture is worth 10,000 words.

Chris

285 posts

Whizzing is still used today,there is a seller on ebay,that whizzes coins,almost every one.I bought one,and wow it went back quick.I dont want to point em out,as its not good to do that on forums,but it is still a common practice for some.

2,905 posts

Here is a Wizzed Barber Dime I bought when I was a kid .

I sent it to ANACS a couple of years ago with a bunch of other problem coins.

The circular lines are very obvious from the top picture which was scanned at high resolution . The digital photo ( bottom) also shows the circular lines.

96173.jpg.ca5f9c506e71f9ae59292b2c4dd0f1c8.jpg

96174.jpg.486a995de5f91bc6033da91b6d72e89a.jpg

11,432 posts

That's a great (read: awful) example, too, Mark! (thumbs u

2,905 posts

I bought this one as a Gem BU I am guessing around 1970 !!! You guys hit the nail on the head , it is a great example of a bad coin .

1,794 posts

this coin looked great in hand until I saw my own photos did I realize it was whizzed as well. I am guessing if I look at it hard again in hand I will see it with the naked eye, but I am buying a magnifier for the future.

1879Swhizzedback.jpg

1879SWhizzed.jpg

27,993 posts
"whizzed"...

Such a fun word....

It reminds me of Crocodile Dundee calling for re-enforcements!