• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace dollar collectors....

29 posts in this topic

Roger,

While I am not a Peace Dollar collector, I truly enjoyed the article along with your book which I am rereading. Thank you for your diligence and noteworthy numismatic literature.

Jim

Great interview! I can count myself as a Peace Dollar collector. I do have a complete set--with a few pieces I want to upgrade.

Scott

Yah for peace dollar collectors :applause:

The start of the series gives me the impression that it was really rushed with the relief not being thought through well enough .

I find the coin to be reasonably plain both obverse and reverse and am a bit bemused as to why it would not strike up properly .

The 1921 high relief was a beauty , It was just a shame it didn't stack :tonofbricks:

Martin

Excellent interview, Roger! I would imagine that your comment about many of the varieties being trivial will probably catch some flak from the Peace VAM fanatics, but I have to agree with you on that point. Still, it is a nice series that I may consider starting at some future date.

Chris

I also own only one Peace Dollar, but I did find the Peace Dollar book quite interesting. The interview was good too!

Let's liven things up a little bit: post your Peace Dollars!!!

1924%20NGC%20MS64%203035581-010%20OBV.jpg

1924%20NGC%20MS64%203035581-010%20REV.jpg

Some nice coins, there!

Martin (and all),

Thanks for the nice comments. I would have preferred the interview focus only on the coins – I’m not into the self-promotion stuff. The link was posted here (and ATS) because the content and illustrations gave a good overall impression of a series that has a lot of potential for discovery.

The start of the series gives me the impression that it was really rushed with the relief not being thought through well enough.

Yep. De Francisci commented in an interview that it should have taken months to do what was done in a few weeks. Most of the problems were due to haste and poor communication.

[/i]I find the coin to be reasonably plain both obverse and reverse and am a bit bemused as to why it would not strike up properly.[/i]

The striking problem – even on the low relief – is that the highest relief on both sides is opposite on another, and the metal cannot not fill the dies properly. This is more noticeable on 1921 circulation and the 1922 HR and MR experimental and trial pieces.

[/i]The 1921 high relief was a beauty , It was just a shame it didn't stack.[/i]

The 1921 coins stacked fine. The story about bankers complaining was BS.

Chris,

As for my remark about many varieties being “trivial,” that is just my humble opinion. But, if I need 20x to find the marker, then it does not seem very interesting to me. (The same marker might be extremely helpful in tracking die sequences, etc., so it’s not “useless.”)

Look back at pre-2005 and compare what we knew then, with what is now in the Peace dollar book and “Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921.” I think there is potential for similar expansion of knowledge, if the business/hobby is willing to support the work.

1923 ms 66

1923peacedollarms66.jpg1926peacedollarms66r.jpg

1926 d ms64

peace1926d.jpgpeace1926d1.jpg

Just as a side bar .

On the 26 d you can see where the lettering on the die was wearing so they redid the "god " part of the inscription . Why they didn't do the whole thing is beyond me (shrug)

The strengthening of "God" on the 1926 master die was identified by David W. Lange. To date, no one has found anything to explain why. Lange speculated that mint engraver Sinnock wanted to show his displeasure with the "Scopes Trial" concluded in the summer of 1925. This was about the time new hubs and master dies for 1925 would have been made. Sinnock did not start working as engraver until August 1925.

Love the design.I have a few,but this is the best. I think it's MS65 but the reed mark may keep it at 64. It's got nice luster and mint frost on the eagle.

23PD3.jpg

23PD4.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

FYI, I was interviewed last week for that same website, but it will be a few weeks before it appears. The topic was Lincoln Cents and Buffalo Nickels, as well as coin boards.

FYI, I was interviewed last week for that same website, but it will be a few weeks before it appears. The topic was Lincoln Cents and Buffalo Nickels, as well as coin boards.

David, I hope you will let us know when it is posted.

Chris

I agree with the others, very nice set showing there Irvin.

Rey

Thanks Rey and that Key you posted is a beauty. :hi:

P.s. Nice pocket piece Winston. :hi: