• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1805 Draped Bust Quater - Will it grade or Body Bag?

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I bought this several months ago and was wondering if the scratch marks on the reverse are sufficient to cause this coin to come back in a body bag.

Also there is a hit at the obverse at about 2 o'clock.

The scratch mark on the obverse at the lips actually is not a scratch, but just how the picture turned out.

Thanks in advance!

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

NGC no longer bodybags coins but gives them a non numerical details grade with a notation on the holder of the defect.

My 1806 Half dollar was given a details grade on the holder with a notation of scrached reverse.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

I believe the cuts on the reverse are severe enough that the coin would not get into an NGC problem-free holder. At least not on the first attempt. Regardless, this is not a coin that really needs to be certified in order to hold its value.

I believe the cuts on the reverse are severe enough that the coin would not get into an NGC problem-free holder. At least not on the first attempt. Regardless, this is not a coin that really needs to be certified in order to hold its value.

Tom, I agree with you on the first point but I believe that a coin like this should be certified if only because it is pretty rare and worth at least $100.

Maybe I'm wrong but if it were mine that's what I would do.

Given the number marks on the reverse I don't think that your 1805 quarter will get into a graded holder from either service. Still it is a decent example of a scarce coin.

BTW the weakness of the "E" in "LIBERTY" is normal and would have no effect upon the grade.

There is the possibility that those may be considered mint occurred hits.in the early 1800's they were barbaric with the handling of coins.they were just money.sometimes you find nice pieces with some hits on it,but it is mint related hits.with a well circulated piece like that,there is a chance it will grade.Sometimes the graders will grade it,as long as it is not too severe,and if the hits are not recent.usually you can tell hits that were recent,as they are not toned over,their bright silver,from a staple or drop.There is still a 50/50 like others have stated.but is it worth the cost? still a nice piece overall.

The only marks that the grading services will let pass are adjustment marks. The marks on the reverse of that quarter are definitely not adjustment marks. During the early days of the U.S. mint, planchets (coin blanks) that were too heavy were adjusted by scraping a file over the surface of the piece and saving the scrapings for melting and formation into new planchets.

This 1795 Flowing Hair dollar has adjustment marks on the obverse. You will note that they have a pattern and are together, not at ramdom over the surface of the coin.

1795FlowDolO.jpg1795FlowDolR.jpg

NGC no longer bodybags coins but gives them a non numerical details grade with a notation on the holder of the defect.

My 1806 Half dollar was given a details grade on the holder with a notation of scrached reverse.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

Whioa! That's a nice one.

And thank you everybody for the replies, I appreciate it.

I would send it to NGC and at least get a details grade. You never know it might just grade. I would give it about a 30% chance.

I agree with BillJones that there is no way those marks are adjustment marks. They are too deep given the level of wear and also are in various directions across the reverse.