• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Now Across The Street ...

300 posts in this topic

(Shortly after the initial banning I was contacted by PCGS.........They wanted two free copies of my book.) 

I think I've just seen a new definition of the word "chutzpa."

For those who have not heard about it, the standard definition is, a guy murders both of his parents and goes before the court asking for mercy because he’s now an orphan.

Or as the Irish say, "They've got a lot of crust."

What got me banned was they posted their new rule of "You can not criticize PCGS in any way, shape, or form." I posted that under this new rule I was sure to get banned eventually because I tend to speak my mind. Rather than risk being banned I will no longer be openly posting. I would however continue to help posters and answer questions via PM's. That was my last post and the only post I made after they posted the rules..

Within five hours I was banned.

I guess they took that as a criticism of PCGS and their rules.

After two months of seeing so many questions being asked and getting either ignored, incomplete answers, or even wrong information I couldn't stand it and created an alt so I could help them. That lasted for a year until I made the mistake of mentioning over here that I had an alt ATS. Didn't mention what it was, but within four hours that alt was banned. I haven't bothered going back there since. (Shortly after the initial banning I was contacted by PCGS.........They wanted two free copies of my book.)

Did you tell them where they could be purchased at retail cost??? lol

(Shortly after the initial banning I was contacted by PCGS.........They wanted two free copies of my book.)
Man, those guys have some giant sized steel marbles!! Thanks for recounting that.

Man, those guys have some giant sized steel marbles!! Thanks for recounting that.

I would have figured out something, maybe a *pop-up* page when you opened the book cover, of a hand, with one finger pointing skyward. :devil:

What got me banned was they posted their new rule of "You can not criticize PCGS in any way, shape, or form." I posted that under this new rule I was sure to get banned eventually because I tend to speak my mind. Rather than risk being banned I will no longer be openly posting. I would however continue to help posters and answer questions via PM's. That was my last post and the only post I made after they posted the rules..

Within five hours I was banned.

I guess they took that as a criticism of PCGS and their rules.

After two months of seeing so many questions being asked and getting either ignored, incomplete answers, or even wrong information I couldn't stand it and created an alt so I could help them. That lasted for a year until I made the mistake of mentioning over here that I had an alt ATS. Didn't mention what it was, but within four hours that alt was banned. I haven't bothered going back there since. (Shortly after the initial banning I was contacted by PCGS.........They wanted two free copies of my book.)

I was there that day and read your post. I was shocked at the way they handled it. There were others that said much worse and got by with it. That was a crazy day. Actually there were several days about that time that were really sad. Many decided to lay low and quit posting for a while.

I know you probably don't wish to but after all this time they would probably let you back on. There are a lot of folks that wish you were still there.

I would have figured out something, maybe a *pop-up* page when you opened the book cover, of a hand, with one finger pointing skyward. :devil:
LMAO ... Now that would have been classic!!

36_11_6.gif

I was not insulting, I simply told them that NGC paid for theirs, ANACS paid for theirs, ICG paid for theirs, SEGS paid for theirs, Heritage paid for theirs, and PCGS could pay for theirs too.

I didn't tell them that I knew that two of their employees already had copies.

Frankly even if they hadn't banned me I would not have given them free copies. PCGS and I have never gotten along. I got help and information from all of the other grading services. PCGS would not answer questions. They were unhappy that I was identifying the time periods when the different slabs were produced . One of the ways they were maintaining the fiction that it didn't matter when a coin was graded and that a MS from 86 was the same as from 90 and from 95 etc was because no one could look at the slab and tell when the coin was slabbed. I was putting an end to that. The were not happy about the fact that I talked about the counterfeit rattler slabs. That was something they wanted to keep swept under the rug lest it cause a loss of confidence in PCGS.

They had threatened to ban me earlier when they found out I was trying to buy a counterfeit rattler. They claimed I was trying to interfere with a deal they had with the seller and that if I didn't stop I would be banned. So I contacted the seller and told him that if PCGS had made a deal with him I would bow out of the negotiations. He said he didn't have any deal with PCGS. They wouldn't agree to his price and they wouldn't make any counteroffer. ll they would say was "send it to us and we will take care of you". There was no agreement. So I asked what he wanted for it, he told me and I bought it at his price. Naturally this did not endear me to them either.

I doubt I will try to go back to PCGS, our hosts here at NGC treat us better.

I was not insulting, I simply told them that NGC paid for theirs, ANACS paid for theirs, ICG paid for theirs, SEGS paid for theirs, Heritage paid for theirs, and PCGS could pay for theirs too.

Frankly even if they hadn't banned me I would not have given them free copies. PCGS and I have never gotten along. I got help and information from all of the other grading services. PCGS would not answer questions. They were unhappy that I was identifying the time periods when the different slabs were produced . One of the ways they were maintaining the fiction that it didn't matter when a coin was graded and that a MS from 86 was the same as from 90 and from 95 etc was because no one could look at the slab and tell when the coin was slabbed. I was putting an end to that. The were not happy about the fact that I talked about the counterfeit rattler slabs. That was something they wanted to keep swept under the rug lest it cause a loss of confidence in PCGS.

They had threatened to ban me earlier when they found out I was trying to buy a counterfeit rattler. They claimed I was trying to interfere with a deal they had with the seller and that if I didn't stop I would be banned. So I contacted the seller and told him that if PCGS had made a deal with him I would bow out of the negotiations. He said he didn't have any deal with PCGS. They wouldn't agree to his price and they wouldn't make any counteroffer. ll they would say was "send it to us and we will take care of you". There was no agreement. So I asked what he wanted for it, he told me and I bought it at his price. Naturally this did not endear me to them either.

Amazing, Mike. Just amazing.

Where could I purchase a copy of your book? Is it still in print?

PCGS and I have never gotten along. I got help and information from all of the other grading services. PCGS would not answer questions. They were unhappy that I was identifying the time periods when the different slabs were produced . One of the ways they were maintaining the fiction that it didn't matter when a coin was graded and that a MS from 86 was the same as from 90 and from 95 etc was because no one could look at the slab and tell when the coin was slabbed. I was putting an end to that. The were not happy about the fact that I talked about the counterfeit rattler slabs. That was something they wanted to keep swept under the rug lest it cause a loss of confidence in PCGS.

PCGS has been touchy about the issue of WHEN a coin was graded for a long time. I suppose that stems from the collapse of ANACS (when it was owned by the ANA) many years ago when they dated their grading papers.

At one point they had allowed their grading standards to get lax. They made a big announcement that they were tightening their standards again. As a result ANACS that were dated before a certain date traded to lower amounts than papers that were dated after that date. For a while there was a bifurcated market with “pre date” coins selling for less than “post date” coins. There were even ads in Coin World to that effect. This marked the beginning of the end for ANACS as the leading grading service.

At one point PCGS threatened to pull the grading privileges from dealers who mentioned the color of slab labels or ever the size of the holder. After a while the market pressures reached a point where green label holders and rattler slabs because “urban legends” and they could not long hold back the dam.

Where could I purchase a copy of your book? Is it still in print?

I would like to know as well. Thx.

Thanks for sharing those details with us. In my opinion, your essential points about cooperation and non-cooperation of different TPGs with your research, and their apparent motives, are worth quoting in your new revised edition of the history of coin grading and the different slabs.

If any particular TPG disagrees with your story, and has a rejoinder, they can post it here, since they are apparently monitoring these forums.

I've been told on numerous occasions that there are "stooges" that report activity going on here to the powers that be ATS.

~snitches~

There's no question about that, since I once received an eMail directly from the man at the top of PCGS, and it cut-and-paste quoted something I had posted over here.

Wow ... it is becoming a festival of alts over there now with the bulk of posters having registered after the beginning of "The Big Flush". Well, that is what PCGS gets for hiring a numismatist to run the show instead of hiring a CEO.

There are many, many great people that post ATS, with much knowledge to share, that I am grateful for. The politicking, not so much...it's inevitable that personalities are going to clash, some threads are very predictable in that way.

You take the good,

You take the bad,

You take them both and there you have the facts of life.

The facts of life.

The advantage PCGS board has is that you get a lot action over there. If you post something that is half way decent you will get responses. That goes along with the fact that you have a lot more participants there.

Having said that it’s nice to be able to post an image of a medal or token here and not have to worry about getting zapped :makepoint: for doing it. Over there it is against the rules because this is “a COIN site.” You are supposed to post medals and tokens in the “World and Ancient Coins” area :o where it will quickly get lost in the shuffle. :(

I've been told on numerous occasions that there are "stooges" that report activity going on here to the powers that be ATS.

~snitches~

Want a name?? :cool:

what is a snitch?

do you trust a snitch?

would you trust them as your friends?/

what agendas to fullfill/rewards do snitches get??

is a snitch a rat??

~snitches~

Want a name?? :cool:

what is a snitch?

A rat!

do you trust a snitch?

No!

would you trust them as your friends?/

Again, No!

what agendas to fullfill/rewards do snitches get??

Whatever they are willing to slink down to.

is a snitch a rat??

Yes!

Anymore questions?

Item 1 Some one that hopes to convey important information to an adversary.

Item 2. Certainly no.

Item 3. See item 2

Item 4 Who knows?????

Item 5 Yes

$ilverHawk

I miss a ton of friends, buyers over at PCGS.. :(

It simply amazes me still on a daily basis the rules are broken by the same clique of guys over there and nothings done, bad business, bad Willis.. I guess talking about NGC and ICG was my demise ATS.

Life is full of choices, my coins sell for the same in Ngc slabs as they do in Pcgs.. We are not talking about a couple of hundred dollar coins either..

Also, I guess as a ex paying member over ATS was not considered as they accept certain renobs that shake their hands at shows or speak highly about the companywhen there is a concern, that gets a lock on stayin put on their boards... Yea, I miss selling certain coins to certain people ATS, but when the day ends it's all good.. Teletrade and Heritage has been a blessing to a collector like myself.. You put a reserve on your coins, wake up the next day, in a week or so, get money in your bank.. Ebay now, to much trouble trying to sell 4 figure coins on a regular basis. Too much risk. It's foolish to sell 5 figure coins anywhere except online auction houses.. JMHO..

P.S. I have many high dollar coins in Anacs, Icg, Pcgs, Ngc slabs and I always sell my coins for what I believe they are worth. It's foolish to think your coins are worth more in another TPG's slab.