• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Now Across The Street ...

300 posts in this topic

Does anyone else think that Don WIllis has become a complete tyrant with regard to "his board" across the street? It seems like you can't say anything over there that he doesn't agree with 100% without getting banned or the thread getting poofed or locked. No wonder the posters of substance are fleeing en masse. I miss the good old days when David Hall was running the show. It was fun ... like an online hobby forum is supposed to be.

:)

PCGS makes the rules for participation on their message board, just as NGC does for this one. Each company makes its own assessment of what to permit and what to prohibit. That likely changes with time and experience. I suspect it can be difficult to know where the separation is between routine carping and some types of personal attack on a member or dealer. This is especially tough when personalities and educational distinctions come to the fore.

Just a thought...

It is really really strange. When I knew Don Willis before (long before he was installed at PCGS), he never came across that way - crass, dictatorial. I don't know what to think, but I can say I do not miss being a member ATS. Much better over here!

There was a thread where Longacre wanted to know how to contact Laura directly in which I suggested a male stripper singing telegram would likely do the trick. DW PM'ed me and said it was inappropriate. I suppose perhaps it was, and I really don't begrudge him posting rules for the board, but policing the message boards to the extent that he apparently is seems an odd task for the president of PCGS.

Does anyone else think that Don WIllis has become a complete tyrant with regard to "his board" across the street?

Yes but I think the problem is systemic and not isolated to Don Willis…

I unintentionally crossed the line (wherever it might be drawn) with this thread.

Absolutely ridiculous that your thread was locked. I don't think that Willis will last long at the helm ... he is off too many people.

I too am surprised by the approach Willis is taking. When he was a dealer he was good guy who could take criticism. Now he’s an edgy censor. Maybe this behavior was his marching order when he got the job. If so, if I were he, I’d tuning up my resume. My impression of him was that his personality was not like this, but perhaps I was wrong.

At any rate PCGS would do well to listen to its customers instead of shutting them up or giving them to boot off their board. No business is perfect, and if they can't take the heat directly they will find that the market for their products will cool down to the point where they wish they had listened.

That was a fairly innocuous question. I don't understand why it was locked at all (shrug)

That was a fairly innocuous question. I don't understand why it was locked at all (shrug)

Maybe he was afraid that the thread would take off along a parallel direction, i.e., overgraded PCGS slabs.

Chris

Maybe he was afraid that the thread would take off along a parallel direction, i.e., overgraded PCGS slabs.

The funny thing is that I didn't refer to any grading service. The question could easily be read to mean a coin that a dealer has in a 2x2.

Why would anyone assume that I was referring to PCGS? hm

I learned at a very young age why you don't poke a hornets nest with the end of a stick. :busy:

A flamethrower does a better job.

Chris

The only problem with the can of hair spray is that you have to get too close.

When we were kids, there was a yellowjacket nest in the ground in the corner of the yard beneath the hedges. We carefully placed a garden hose near the opening and proceeded to pour several gallons of gasoline into the other end of the hose. Then we took an old rag and made a torch soaked in gasoline on the end of a stick. I threw it into the corner of the yard from about 10' away, and the flames shot into the air about 5'. It reminded me of an oil rig fire.

Chris

When we were kids, there was a yellowjacket nest in the ground in the corner of the yard beneath the hedges. We carefully placed a garden hose near the opening and proceeded to pour several gallons of gasoline into the other end of the hose. Then we took an old rag and made a torch soaked in gasoline on the end of a stick. I threw it into the corner of the yard from about 10' away, and the flames shot into the air about 5'. It reminded me of an oil rig fire.

Chris

Ahhhh, let's not forget chemistry and the brains (or lack thereof) of a pre-teen boy. We had a yellow jacket nest near the house and I was in charge of cleaning the pool. I knew from previous experiments that peeing on the powdered chlorine used on the pool would release (what I assumed was) chlorine gas. So my cousin (11 months older than I, so, at that stage in my life, close to God) and myself put a fairly good sized pan of chlorine powder right under the entrance/exit for the yellow jackets and peed on it. It did indeed release gas which did indeed kill (or at least knock out) some yellow jackets, but the rest came looking for us and as we had "our equipment" out, it did lead to us running very quickly for a while (luckily nothing got stung).

Chris

Ahhhh, let's not forget chemistry and the brains (or lack thereof) a pre-teen boy. We had a yellow jacket nest near the house and I was in charge of cleaning the pool. I knew from previous experiments that peeing on the powdered chlorine used on the pool would release (what I assumed was) chlorine gas. So my cousin (11 months older than I, so, at that stage in my life, close to God) and myself put a fairly good sized pan of chlorine powder right under the entrance/exit for the yellow jackets and peed on it. It did indeed release gas which did indeed kill (or at least knock out) some yellow jackets, but the rest came looking for us and as we had "our equipment" out, it did lead to us running very quickly for a while (luckily nothing got stung).

:roflmao: I like these stories; they're interesting and hilarious.

I unintentionally crossed the line (wherever it might be drawn) with this thread.

Absolutely ridiculous that your thread was locked. I don't think that Willis will last long at the helm ... he is off too many people.

What does *spoon* mean?

Spoon is what the Nanny on the boards censors bad words out as. (to see what they really said, hit the quick quote button (but delete it before you reply))

Try it: , , etc.

I did not mean to de-rail this thread with hornets, but for some reason "Dawn" dish washing liquid mixed with water "freezes" hornets on contact...they can't even sting you because they just seize up and fall off the nest, much like the person would do that is referenced in these threads.

I've always assumed that the surfactants in dishwashing detergent made it difficult or impossible for insects to breathe once it entered their lungs.

I've always assumed that the surfactants in dishwashing detergent made it difficult or impossible for insects to breathe once it entered their lungs.

Plus they smell lemony fresh....win win...............MJ

Plus they smell lemony fresh....win win...............MJ

I just spit up my coffee lol

Don't know how things are going on the forum ATS these days. I quit visiting there shortly after Don made "THE RULES" announcement. The environment on the forum there had become too ugly for my liking.

However, I have to admit that anytime I see a new market report from Legends, I know MJ will post it ATS and the responses can be entertaining to read.