• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do the graders ever get excited about a coin?

10 posts in this topic

Boiler,

A bit impatient, are we? Anyway, there isn't a grader here at NGC that doesn't get excited by a coin on any given day! We see so much material, that something special is always within reach. It will also vary from grader to grader as preferences for what is cool or special is a personal matter. For example, when I hold a 1913 nickel or an 1804 dollar in my hands I am overwhelmed by both their rarity and significance. However, I won't get that chill up my spine that I get when I see a Buffalo Nickel from the teens in MS67 with outrageous peripheral toning. An XF45 type coin that is completely original and problem free may excite someone else. It's all a matter of taste, but yes, we still love and appreciate coins!

John

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Ditto to that. I just finished attributing a box of late date large cents by Newcomb varieties. Very difficult, but fun.

John, David - This is nice to hear from each of you. (But damn your hide, John, on not getting excited over a teens MS67 buff with great toning! wink.gif) Sometimes I wonder how it would be to see and handle so many coins. I think at times that it would be completely overwhelming. I'd love to experience what you have, even for a day, but I don't envy the tasks you people are up against on a regular basis.

I did wonder if the 1952 MS67* Jeff I just had returned from NGC made a stir with someone. Perhaps. Perhaps all the star coins stir somebody's fancy.

Thanks, Hoot

Hoot,

I think you may have misunderstood me.... I said said an early MS67 Buffalo with spectacular toning would excite me. As for your nickel,congratulations, and you are correct in assuming that star designations can cause a stir here, especially since we are strict in our criteria and therefore assign relatively few.

John

Sure an early MS67 Buffalo with spectacular toning would excite a couple of people and a 1913 V nickel might be impressive to some, but how about something really exciting like a State Quarter in MS68 or a Buffalo Dollar in MS69. I bet the graders love these true modern rarities. wink.gifshocked.gifwink.gif

Just kidding. Honestly!

So, what coins do the graders really dislike grading? I don't mean Indian gold because it is difficult, but rather things like bullion gold. Come on, what do you guys really dread to see when you look at that next batch of coins waiting to be graded?

John and David,

Thank you for your response. I guess in this day of instant internet gratification I have become less patient than in years gone by.

Greg,

That really varies as much from grader to grader as favorite coins to grade do. Ask your fellow numismatists. I bet you'll get widely different answers....the trick is to know how to grade the coins you may not like, and give those your best effort as well.

John