• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to crack a coin out of a PCGS or NGC holder? ~~Videos~~

25 posts in this topic

Well I made two videos today on cracking a coin out of a holder.

I always use a hammer, wire snips and a wash cloth.

Wrap the coin in the wash cloth and then hit the side of the holder with the hammer till

you here the slab crack. I have never damaged a coin yet doing it this way.

PCGS Crackout

NGC Crackout

That...is a good way to have a coin fly across the room.

Hint, never use your fingers to pry the broken halves apart, you could launch shards of plastic and or the coin itself.

Hint, never use your fingers to pry the broken halves apart, you could launch shards of plastic and or the coin itself.

Also, it's a good way to slice your finger and get blood all over your coin. :o

Okay....I have never cut myself or had the coin come flying out of the holder.

If you take those nippers and snip right below the label (into the coin cavity) of course wrap it in a cloth, turn it and snip the other side, the gasket and coin will usually just slip out, no prying required.

Okay....I have never cut myself or had the coin come flying out of the holder.

I've cut myself on those plastic shards. They can be sharp. Just recommend that everyone be careful. Also, it's not a bad idea to wear eye protection.

I in no way wanted to offend the OP, it's just that there is NO right way to open a tamper resistant container, only Safeways.

I didn't know Safeway was still in business, but I wouldn't trust their baggers.

Chris

Have you ever dropped plastic remnants on the coins? I have always thought that the method described by Chris was the best (band saw).

I JUST USE MY TEETH!

Have used a dremel with reinforced cutoff wheel (the ones that don't just fly apart) to open them right up and have been wanting to try the new dremel multimax vibrating tool to see if it'll slice through the plastic as easily as it does the nail on their commercial:)...

Without a doubt, safer for the coin and operator than prior methods mentioned...

Have also considered a doorknob drillbit in a drillpress without the bit in the center.

I'm in favor of using shaped charges. I figure if you set the slabs up properly in front of a Claymore you could open up hundreds of slabs at one time. There may be a problem with getting the spacing right to make sure the coins aren't damaged.

After all isn't cracking out and resending coins a gamble? Let's really roll the dice!!

Carl

I'm in favor of using shaped charges. I figure if you set the slabs up properly in front of a Claymore you could open up hundreds of slabs at one time. There may be a problem with getting the spacing right to make sure the coins aren't damaged.

After all isn't cracking out and resending coins a gamble? Let's really roll the dice!!

Carl

Wouldn't it be better to roll some C4 into a long, very thin rope (like you did with clay when you were a kid) and wrap it around the edge?

Chris

I think you're on to something. If you roll the C4 thin enough you could snap the sonic bonds, the slab would crack and the coin would be freed from it's wrongfully graded TPG holder.

Carl

I think you're on to something. If you roll the C4 thin enough you could snap the sonic bonds, the slab would crack and the coin would be freed from it's wrongfully graded TPG holder.Carl

:signfunny::roflmao: I'd love to see that. Good luck explaining that to your neighbors and federal law enforcement agencies. :roflmao:

I like to use a torch and just melt the plastic. If any of the plastic sticks on the coin I just chip it off with a screwdriver. I then sell the coin on ebay " with rare adjustment marks". If you can't get all the plastic off, it simply becomes "an ultra-rare planchet flaw". Selling coins on ebay is easy!

Have used a dremel with reinforced cutoff wheel (the ones that don't just fly apart) to open them right up and have been wanting to try the new dremel multimax vibrating tool to see if it'll slice through the plastic as easily as it does the nail on their commercial:)...

Without a doubt, safer for the coin and operator than prior methods mentioned...

Same way I do it. MUCH safer for the coin and the body. No shards, just pop it right apart with a flat blade screwdriver after dremeling around the edges.

MM

I've had good results by wraping the slab in a cloth and then slowly squeezing the slab in a vise on one axis until it cracks and then slowly squeezing the slab on the other axis. Usually, the slab shells easily separate.

I like to use a torch

Is that in reference to my post on copper spots on gold under the Pan Pacific thread listed here? lol

I was referring to raw coins, when done properly with safety equipment. I said that I advised against it. I know it sounds outlandish, but I've heard that it actually works quite well! I actually prefer the NCS method if the spots are worth the time, money, and risk to remove.

I like to use a torch and just melt the plastic. If any of the plastic sticks on the coin I just chip it off with a screwdriver. I then sell the coin on ebay " with rare adjustment marks". If you can't get all the plastic off, it simply becomes "an ultra-rare planchet flaw". Selling coins on ebay is easy!

:roflmao: It's sad, but I bet that some naive person would take the bait on that one. :roflmao:

OK lets take it down a notch. How about cordite. The blast effects may yeild an incredibly toned coin. Damn I love the smell of naplam in the morning. :baiting: