• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked toned 1922 Peace Dollar

42 posts in this topic

got this pd for about $50 the other day. even if its AT i still had to have it. probably impossible to grade by these photos, but thats secondary anyway. anybody else like this coin or is it 'one man's treasure is another man's trash"?

PS there were a couple other bidders with feedback in the thousands so i guess at least some other serious coin guys are into this.

screenshot_06.jpg

screenshot_07.jpg

This coin had a grand total of 4 different bidders. Those other bidders with the feedback in the thousands could have simply been shill bidders or maybe they just bought thousands of other unattractive coins. How can you assume that someone with a lot of feedback is "serious" ?? Could it not also be that these people have purchased and or sold thousands of bad coins and are totally clueless as well ??

Mark, you're wasting your time! If you were a school teacher and he was the student, at the end of the year his report card would look something like this:

Comprehension - E

Retention - E

Common Sense - E

Stupidity - A+

It's time to flunk him and put him in a remedial class for the academically-challenged students.

Chris

Count I don't have an issue that you like the coin , beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do not find the coin appealing at all , maybe it will look better in hand but I doubt it. I think you may have been shilled into paying a higher price for this coin. The issue is you always make an excuse in an attempt to justify your purchases. You should have just posted the coin and left out the comment about the "serious" bidders with thousands of feedback scores. I am sorry , it just makes you look naive.

PS there were a couple other bidders with feedback in the thousands so i guess at least some other serious coin guys are into this.

:gossip: Since when does your feedback score have anything to do with how serious you are about coins.

To all the other Einsteins here... how about staying on topic and taking about the coin... you know, the round thingy I posted here.... I am having a ball listening to the rants on what a dufus I must be.... haha...

PS did anybody here make a fortune like me going long platinum when it was on par with gold about a year ago?

TC laughing all the way to the bank.

To all the other Einsteins here... how about staying on topic and taking about the coin... you know, the round thingy I posted here.... I am having a ball listening to the rants on what a dufus I must be.... haha...

PS did anybody here make a fortune like me going long platinum when it was on par with gold about a year ago?

TC laughing all the way to the bank.

There you go again !. Count, I can tell by all the wonderful coins you purchase that you are worth a fortune. The only people laughing are the ones here laughing at you .

As a footnote:

Platinum has appreciated about 70 % in the last year . In order for you to have made a fortune on it you would have needed a fortune to start . Do you think we are gulible ?

You are such a fool . I fully understand borrowing on margin as I have been trading stocks for 25 years. Stop making excuses and trying to prove yourself to us , you are very transparent.

The reverse has some nice qualities, not a fan of the obverse at all, but to each his own.

As for the other banter, I purposefully maintain multiple ebay accounts for bidding only, since it used to be really easy for other bidders to sort of follow you around and/or sellers to get a feel for who they could shill (not that it can't be done today)... I can't imagine that other "serious" bidders don't take similar precautions to ensure that they're not taken advantage of or attract unwanted attention... Anyone else?

:popcorn:

I agree :popcorn:

Butter anyone...

Brings to mind a cool feature of the mytrade social networking site owned by think-or-swim (the best for complex options trading), now a division of ameritrade. They'll let you "share" your trades with the community, but only when placing a real order. Amazing how the cream comes to the top when you can't just say you rocked it with a last-minute genius short-straddle near op-ex where the underlying made a massive move at close to peg it to the penny for max profit...

You know the guy - "He was long faz through march 09, and then rolled it all into the Jan10 fas leaps", claiming to have made a fortune via options on a three times leveraged financials etf that uses derivatives to "attempt" to achieve a stated objective... (Now that's leverage BABY) Ha, bust-out theory comes to mind... "of course it's in his IRA account, so he can't touch it or change his lifestyle "right now"...:) (Or maybe he's a real "baller" and it was a naked put on fas to start it off)

Forex will be the next story, the "good" firms'll let you go 500x1...

Could get good:)

Shill bidding on no reserve auctions is common.

I currently only sell coins on EBAY , all my auctions are BIN or Best Offer .

I use one ID .

I'm basically only a buyer and really try to snipe no reserve or catch good BINs that are just listed...

Butter anyone...

Brings to mind a cool feature of the mytrade social networking site owned by think-or-swim (the best for complex options trading), now a division of ameritrade. They'll let you "share" your trades with the community, but only when placing a real order. Amazing how the cream comes to the top when you can't just say you rocked it with a last-minute genius short-straddle near op-ex where the underlying made a massive move at close to peg it to the penny for max profit...

You know the guy - "He was long faz through march 09, and then rolled it all into the Jan10 fas leaps", claiming to have made a fortune via options on a three times leveraged financials etf that uses derivatives to "attempt" to achieve a stated objective... (Now that's leverage BABY) Ha, bust-out theory comes to mind... "of course it's in his IRA account, so he can't touch it or change his lifestyle "right now"...:) (Or maybe he's a real "baller" and it was a naked put on fas to start it off)

[font:Comic Sans MS] Rock on! [/font]

:roflmao:C :roflmao:H :roflmao:R :roflmao:I :roflmao:S :roflmao:

Butter anyone...

Ya know I bought my Ferrari with those 10 shares of CSCO I bought 20 years ago before the stock split 10 times , and yes I sold it at the stocks high in 2000 :grin:

Wait maybe it was one of those other techs I bought and held onto to make millions or was it billions ;)

Here is a true story . In the early 90's I bought 1000 shares of Oracle at $ 5 a share.

A couple of months later I sold it and made $ 5000 , I thought I was a big shot .

Do you know what that stock would have been worth post splits at its peak in 2000 ??

About 1.2 million :cry:

I think the reverse is unattractive, but the obverse is very much a piece of art (in its own way).

I will agree with you , the reverse does not bother me , other then the spotty toning on the eagle

Ya know I bought my Ferrari with those 10 shares of CSCO I bought 20 years ago before the stock split 10 times , and yes I sold it at the stocks high in 2000 :grin:

Wait maybe it was one of those other techs I bought and held onto to make millions or was it billions ;)

Here is a true story . In the early 90's I bought 1000 shares of Oracle at $ 5 a share.

A couple of months later I sold it and made $ 5000 , I thought I was a big shot .

Do you know what that stock would have been worth post splits at its peak in 2000 ??

About 1.2 million :cry:

It's awesome when it happens right and a great story when it could've gone better, but a win's a win! I'll share my best "quick score" (percentage-wise, 2 day roundtrip) on a simple buy/sell of BAMM in Late 98 (thinking around thanksgiving), bought at 4.xx on rumor of them opening an "online store" to compete with amazon and sold two whole days later at 36.xx, I put in a limit order to sell over 34 and it was going up so fast it overshot by over 2 bucks before executing... Sweet - Recall making a killing on qlgc and a company they bought with a name like ancor communications about the same time ...

Recenlty shared a fully documented (on this board) prediction in the gold/silver price thread based on one of my trades...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=3700976&Searchpage=1&Main=177778&Words=+SWNGC&topic=0&Search=true#Post3700976

Not a killing, but 5+ points in a few days on a raw commodity play with minimal risk is nothing to scoff at:)

A lot of easy money to be made in the stock market in the late 90's.

I left my job at a investment management company to day trade in 1999.

I did very well for a period of time but found it to be to stressful when I started having bad trading days. Fortunately it was during the same time I was building my current business. I still day trade but very casually - low stress .

When the markets crashed last year I bought a lot of stock and did well , unfortunately I did not make a fortune as one of our other esteemed members claims he did with platinum , probably because I did not use leverage

:grin:;):D:/

I don't play the market, but I used to work at GEICO's home office in Chevy Chase, MD. In 1960 if you bought 1000 shares of common @ $10, it would have been worth $36 million in 1970 @ $125. The company tried to keep the price at $50-$60/share to lure investors, and it split 2-for-1 seven times and 3-for-2 twice during that period but it kept going right back up to $125-$130/share. Then in 1974, the company nearly went bankrupt because of poor underwriting decisions.

They had a pretty good profit sharing program. Unlike many other firms whose PS programs were funded by mutuals, GEICO's was funded by their stock alone. I left the company in 1974 once I was fully vested, and received a check for $147K.

Chris

A lot of easy money to be made in the stock market in the late 90's.

I left my job at a investment management company to day trade in 1999.

I did very well for a period of time but found it to be to stressful when I started having bad trading days. Fortunately it was during the same time I was building my current business. I still day trade but very casually - low stress .

When the markets crashed last year I bought a lot of stock and did well , unfortunately I did not make a fortune as one of our other esteemed members claims he did with platinum , probably because I did not use leverage

:grin:;):D:/

"probably because I did not use leverage "

No doubt a lesson learned quickly while day-trading during the end of the "boom"...

I'll use leverage to an extent with Defined Risk options strategies, iron condors and the such, (occasionally legging in but actively managing risk until the full trade is in place) where I have a max loss that I am comfortable with and upside that creares an acceptable risk/reward... Pretty easy to maintain a net win over the whole portfolio, over time, and easy to sleep at night. Creates some excitement when you can unwind the trade near op ex and often let the winning side run "on the house money". Theta decay rocks!

And to think, just a minute ago we were getting a lesson in understanding commodities and using leverage - Aren't internet forums g-r-e-a-t!

I don't play the market, but I used to work at GEICO's home office in Chevy Chase, MD. In 1960 if you bought 1000 shares of common @ $10, it would have been worth $36 million in 1970 @ $125. The company tried to keep the price at $50-$60/share to lure investors, and it split 2-for-1 seven times and 3-for-2 twice during that period but it kept going right back up to $125-$130/share. Then in 1974, the company nearly went bankrupt because of poor underwriting decisions.

They had a pretty good profit sharing program. Unlike many other firms whose PS programs were funded by mutuals, GEICO's was funded by their stock alone. I left the company in 1974 once I was fully vested, and received a check for $147K.

Chris

Not too shabby of a chunk of change in 1974. Now Warren and Berkshire have taken it to "the next level"... Do you wish you had stayed?

Chris

Not too shabby of a chunk of change in 1974. Now Warren and Berkshire have taken it to "the next level"... Do you wish you had stayed?

Nope! I had gone as far as I could go without a college degree, and it was time for me to move on. Besides, I had a ball as a bartender for the next 15 years, and I made 5x the money.

Chris