• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked toned 1922 Peace Dollar

42 posts in this topic

Bourbon on the rocks for me Sir!, Pappy, Hirsch, Parkers, Stagg, W.L. Weller or T. Handy if you've got it please:)

Most people had never heard of JTS Brown until Paul Newman, aka Fast Eddie Felson, ordered "a bottle and a glass, no ice" in the movie "The Hustler".

Did you know that Makers Mark is one of the oldest companies making bourbon? I liked Old Fitzgerald......smooth sippin, Virginia bourbon.

I was 42 when I quit bartending, and the younger generation was going for all of the crappy drinks with fancy names....Beam Me Up Scotty, Sex on the Beach, Slippery Ni-p-p-le, you name it. I made them and I made good tips for them, but I always appreciated the occasional old-timer who would order one of the drinks popular in the 40's or 50's and then compliment me for making the best one he/she had ever had.

Bourbon Old Fashioned

In a 9 oz. OF glass, muddle the fruit in 1/4 oz. of bourbon with 1/4 oz. simple syrup (or 1/2 packet of sugar) and two dashes of angostura bitters. Add 2-1/2 oz. of your favorite bourbon, then add the ice and splash with club soda.

Chris

got this pd for about $50 the other day. even if its AT i still had to have it. probably impossible to grade by these photos, but thats secondary anyway. anybody else like this coin or is it 'one man's treasure is another man's trash"?

PS there were a couple other bidders with feedback in the thousands so i guess at least some other serious coin guys are into this.

screenshot_06.jpg

screenshot_07.jpg

Really Count, on this one, I say take it behind the shed and put it out of its misery.

Bourbon on the rocks for me Sir!, Pappy, Hirsch, Parkers, Stagg, W.L. Weller or T. Handy if you've got it please:)

Most people had never heard of JTS Brown until Paul Newman, aka Fast Eddie Felson, ordered "a bottle and a glass, no ice" in the movie "The Hustler".

Did you know that Makers Mark is one of the oldest companies making bourbon? I liked Old Fitzgerald......smooth sippin, Virginia bourbon.

I was 42 when I quit bartending, and the younger generation was going for all of the crappy drinks with fancy names....Beam Me Up Scotty, Sex on the Beach, Slippery Ni-p-p-le, you name it. I made them and I made good tips for them, but I always appreicated the occasional old-timer who would order one of the drinks popular in the 40's or 50's and then compliment me for making the best one he/she had ever had.

Bourbon Old Fashioned

In a 9 oz. OF glass, muddle the fruit in 1/4 oz. of bourbon with 1/4 oz. simple syrup (or 1/2 packet of sugar) and two dashes of angostura bitters. Add 2-1/2 oz. of your favorite bourbon, then add the ice and splash with club soda.

Chris

Those other drinks are for p*spoon*ies!

Makers is indeed one of the oldest, but Buffallo Trace is actually the oldest continuously operating distillery in the US (Had a medicinal license during prohibition) - These are the guys who make Pappy and the "antique collection"... FYI - Pappy 15yr is the absolute best bang for your buck you will ever get with a premium bottle of bourbon (if you can find it - probably $65 in MD, i.e. $3/shot - you WILL thank me). (Pappy 23 is insane, but over $200/bottle) The George T. STAGG is 141.4 proof this year and you can drink it neat! Think about it. (Again, hard to find, and obviously not quite as smooth at that proof, it's unfiltered right from the barrel - Considered a hazardous substance for shipping/airline - Can't even take in checked luggage!)

I've actually visited Maker's in Loretto, KY while attending the KY Derby. They let you dip your own bottle in the red wax in the gift shop:) and dinner on Bill Samuel's front porch with a rocking chair and glass of bourbon wasn't bad either...

Bourbon old Fashioned is AOK... in moderation of course - too much sugar can be bad:)

I too am obvious a big fan of the simpler, yet finer things in life, many of which only improve with age!

Chris - Hopefully working in a swank 197x nightclub with a nice post-game private party each night:)... Fringe Benefits, uhm... Wrong forum:)

Actually, I preferred working at casual, local bars in resort towns like Ocean City, MD, Reno, NV and , of course, almost anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico in South FL. Fringe benefits were optional.

Chris

Mark, you're wasting your time! If you were a school teacher and he was the student, at the end of the year his report card would look something like this:

Comprehension - E

Retention - E

Common Sense - E

Stupidity - A+

It's time to flunk him and put him in a remedial class for the academically-challenged students.

Chris

When did school systems give the grade of "E"? I am just curious. My parents mentioned that their teachers did in school, but in all my years, I have never seen such a grade in real life.

got this pd for about $50 the other day. even if its AT i still had to have it. probably impossible to grade by these photos, but thats secondary anyway. anybody else like this coin or is it 'one man's treasure is another man's trash"?

PS there were a couple other bidders with feedback in the thousands so i guess at least some other serious coin guys are into this.

screenshot_06.jpg

screenshot_07.jpg

Really Count, on this one, I say take it behind the shed and put it out of its misery.

It almost looks as if a dog puked all over it. Sorry. I wouldn't give you melt value for it.

By the way, why do you keep coming to this board and asking everyone for advice and then pretending that you are intellectually superior? First of all, your knowledge is apparent in a.) you buy ugly, sub par coins b.) you cannot tell the difference between doctored and original coins, and c.) you didn't even know that VAM numbers applied to Morgan and Peace Dollars while trying to claim that you had a "million dollar buffalo nickel error" according to VAM World.

To all the other Einsteins here... how about staying on topic and taking about the coin... you know, the round thingy I posted here.... I am having a ball listening to the rants on what a dufus I must be.... haha...

Everyone here is trying to help you, but by using derogatory and condescending terms such as calling us "Einsteins" because you don't agree with us is annoying and it demonstrates your ignorance. FYI - you are not smarter than any of the members on this board. If you think otherwise, you are sadly mistaken.

Mark, you're wasting your time! If you were a school teacher and he was the student, at the end of the year his report card would look something like this:

Comprehension - E

Retention - E

Common Sense - E

Stupidity - A+

It's time to flunk him and put him in a remedial class for the academically-challenged students.

Chris

When did school systems give the grade of "E"? I am just curious. My parents mentioned that their teachers did in school, but in all my years, I have never seen such a grade in real life.

When I graduated from high school in 1965, the Maryland public schools used a 5-point grading scale:

A - 5

B - 4

C - 3

D - 2

E - 1

"E" was a failing grade and unless the course was an elective, you had to retake it in summer school if you wanted to advance to the next year, i.e., sophomore, junior or senior.

Chris

When I was in something like the second or third grade, which was circa 1956-8, the flunking grade was an “E.” I never got any, but when my mother, who was a school teacher, was grading papers, she’d put that grade on papers submitted by kids she thought were unusually lazy. She was a bit more discrete with the truly stupid kids, of which we had a few in my rural elementary school. The old fashioned “F” came back when I was in the sixth grade and on into high school.

As for this coin, my take on it is that it is the victim of a coin doctor’s botched experiment. He dumped a powerful chemical on the obverse which gives you the bright color and what looks be damaged, oxidized silver around it. The reverse might be original around the edges with a few “carbon spots.” The "carbon spots" might be chemical burns from the stuff on the obverse or might be from where someone sneezed on it.

At any rate, this is a prime example of ugly toning and not one of those rare beautifully toned Peace Dollars, which are as scarce as hen’s teeth. This is also an example of the quote “Not all toning is beautiful.” In fact most of the natural toning is quite often ugly which why so many coins have been dipped.

For those who are trying to develop an eye for toning, this is an example of what not to look for. Yes the colors are bright, but they are very unnatural, and they are blotchy.

But I guess one man’s junk box dollar is another man’s piece of numismatic art. To each his own as the saying goes. The one thing I will say is don’t sink too much into something that most other people view as ugly.

"Wicked" is the right word for this Peace dollar. I just finished the book by that name about the green witch from the Wizard of Oz.

Comprehension - E

Retention - E

Common Sense - E

Stupidity - A+

Chris

Back in grade school(grdes1-3) on Long Island ,E was the highest grade you could get.It meant Excellent. Can't remember the other letters they used.It wasn't the normal A-F,that's for sure.There was an explanation of the grades printed on the back of the report card.