• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on this...you guessed it...

16 posts in this topic

Even though it looks relatively sharp, I can't see anything higher than a XF-40 for several reasons. There are two indents along the rim that look fairly heavy. The outside of the obverse also looks worn (looks like the reverse just was a weaker strike perhaps?).

Even though it looks relatively sharp, I can't see anything higher than a XF-40 for several reasons. There are two indents along the rim that look fairly heavy. The outside of the obverse also looks worn (looks like the reverse just was a weaker strike perhaps?).

Huh? Are you calling the "holder flash" rim incidents? There are no rim dings of any sort.

Huh? Are you calling the "holder flash" rim incidents? There are no rim dings of any sort.

AH! I didn't notice the faint holder...that changes things. AU-55, just doesn't say MS to me.

AH! I didn't notice the faint holder...that changes things. AU-55, just doesn't say MS to me.

Definitely not! ;)

I'm here to learn. I checked 6 encapsulated 1826 Bust Dollars and compared to the OP example. I noted differences in the Obverse profile of the nose . OP example nose is rounded. Encapsulated examples nose is straight. On the Reverse, I noted differences in the shape of the outer edge of the Eagles Wing. Additionally in the motto the "P" in Pluribus falls under the first "S" in States and the "S" in Pluribus falls under the last "S" in States. Not so in the OP example. There were also differences in where the motto ribbon is positioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1826-BUST-HALF-DOLLAR-PCGS-XF-40-UNDER-GRADED_W0QQitemZ130359332773QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item1e5a058fa5

http://cgi.ebay.com/1826-50C-CAPPED-BUST-HALF-DOLLAR-ANACS-AU58_W0QQitemZ370237709900QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item5633e31e4c

http://cgi.ebay.com/1826-Capped-Bust-Half-Dollar-PCGS-XF40-Rev-Die-Crack_W0QQitemZ250553567411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3a562808b3

Like I said I know very little about this series. But I do know when I see a difference in a coin. Perhaps what I am seeing is a die variation or the miss alignment of the motto and the variation in device outline is something that is common to this series.

Every bust half die marriage is different. In 1826, there were 20 different such marriages, along with varying die states for each marriage. They all look slightly different.

this particular example is an O-117, and a die state just before becoming an O-117 "A". The crack is starting to form, but is not quite there yet.

And as for grade, well it was kinda graded in a bygone era:

100_2213.jpg

It has the wear of a 58, and the luster of a 55. The toning hides the luster well, but it is mostly there.