• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade on this Susan B. Anthony Impulse Buy

26 posts in this topic

Saw this Susie B. on the Bay for a price that I considered cheap, so I impulse bought it. You will either guess it right away, or be baffled by my purchase, but either way - have a crack at it!

I will add - it is certified by old ANACS in a small white holder.

92439.jpg.14339a5ef889a02539998ec0c67ef7bc.jpg

92440.jpg.b3e36af3a224a80dee17d9c2cd598c68.jpg

Let's see..................

It can't be the For Sale sign on Cuba........

It can't be the impact crater off the Yucatan........

It can't be Full Talons.......

Could it be no reeding?

I am going to guess MS64 with PL designation. I guess it could go higher at MS65PL? Does it look better in hand?
I don't know what it looks like in hand - I just ordered it this afternoon.

I would have never bought this coin with that nasty nick in the eagles wing.

For certain coins, I'm willing to overlook certain things.

Me too!! but the nick just draws my eye right 2 it.

I would have never bought this coin with that nasty nick in the eagles wing.

For certain coins, I'm willing to overlook certain things.

Me too!! but the nick just draws my eye right 2 it.

Jaime, that isn't a nick. Neil Armstrong is in the crater below and he's throwing moon rocks at the danged bird because the Eagle has already landed.

Chris

My guess is that when you get that coin in hand, you'll find that the seller accidentally posted the reverse of a proof coin. You'll end up returning it, or just biting the bullet on this one. I just don't see the reverse of that being from an MS example.

So all in all, if it really is what the photo's show, then you have something special, but if you don't then you just bought the sellers mistake. I'm guessing the latter hoping for the former.

Okay, Jason, tell us what is so unique about this coin...........

[font:Comic Sans MS]Oh, please, please, please, please, please. It's bacon! [/font]

Chris

Haha, Chris, I guess I can't keep you waiting any longer. The coin is graded 64PL by ANACS. Checking the NGC Registry, there are only 10 PL SBA's graded by them - and they are all on the 99's. I sure hope the reverse is actually the coin I'm getting, because it looks every bit of a DMPL. I'm hopeful because there are three different views of the reverse on the auction, and the holder type is the same at least.

92449.jpg.0d1b41a6c476265475bbb5c200dd30eb.jpg

92450.jpg.d0fe2d1fa078f359527c5f194caed5f9.jpg

Okay, so some of the others nailed it, but I'd still like to know when Ellen De Generes is going to announce her candidacy, and how much are they asking for Cuba?

Chris lol

If it really looks like that when you get it in hand, I, personally, would consider this a MULE. That reverse sure does look like it came from a proof die.

Jason from the picture it seems that NGC would give it a star and not the PL.

I hope the obverse looks better in hand.

Prooflikes are often incredibly hard to distinguish from pictures, especially 20th century series in low quality pictures like this. I'll let y'all know, and post my own pictures, when the coin comes.

If it really looks like that when you get it in hand, I, personally, would consider this a MULE. That reverse sure does look like it came from a proof die.

Possibly - except this is a D mint. Proof dies would not have been made or shipped to the Denver mint.

Proof dies "should" not have been shipped to the Denver mint... you just never know. Those mirrors are too deep and the devices seem frosted. I wonder if there's some kind of marker on the reverse dies of proof only's from 1980. Worth a shot to look at.

The seller actually did a pretty good job with pictures of this beautiful coin. It arrived in the mail this afternoon, and I love it. The obverse is not as strongly mirrored, but the reverse looks every bit of a Cameo Proof. The strike is also quite strong - what SBA collectors call "Full Talons" (incidentally, Full Talons are rather difficult on the 80D, but not as bad as the 80S). I have no doubts whatsoever that this coin would cross to an NGC PL holder, will probably get the * for the cameo reverse, and I would probably grade it 65. TPG's are very hard on prooflike coins though, so it might only be a 64. Whatever the grade, this is a unique, one of a kind, very special coin - even if it is an SBA.

JPA850obverse.jpg

JPA850reverse.jpg

In hand, the coin looks almost exactly like my pictures. There is a mark in her hair, and a mark on her nose that somehow seemed to vanish in my pictures, due to the lighting I guess, but you can see them in the sellers pics.