• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling all Buffalo Nickel experts for this 1916 gem

52 posts in this topic

O heck I may as well eat some damm popcorn as well .

:popcorn:

With all of this popcorn, we should be watching a football game or sitting at a bar.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :roflmao:

Chris

I got the coin in today's mail. at first i thought they sent me a wrong one, but no, it is the same. i know these pics are not great but as far as i can say after an initial check there were no hidden scratches, blemishes, etc.

ps that scratch across the bottom of the first picture is on the coin flip

1916-2f.jpg

1916-2b.jpg

I got the coin in today's mail. at first i thought they sent me a wrong one, but no, it is the same.

So what do you think? Better or worse than the sellers pics?

What is going on with the rim to the left of the indians feather? It kind of looks like a clipped planchet but the coin does not have the correct signs of a clipped planchet?

strange how the rim looks wrong in the pic but is 'normal' in reality. with the right lighting the coin looks just like in the pictures from the seller. really wondering how this will pan out...

Its hard to tell from your pictures but I see at least 1 hit in the indians hair and 2 hits on the buffalos front leg.

Also, from my experiance this coin does not appear to have enough luster for a 67 grade. A 67s luster should "bang, pow"... slap you in the face so to speak, in all lighting. Not just "look good in the right light".

In my honest opinion If it receives a problem free grade I expect it gets a MS66.

Please let us know how it turns out!

you could be right about those 2 small marks on the buffalo front legs. did not realize those before. would not be good, thats for sure. one poster mentioned that the strike for a '16 is pretty strong, does that not go into the grade equation?

dont get me wrong -- a 66 is just fine with me too!

That sure does look a lot different from the photo GSC used.

At the best you have a MS 63 maybe an MS 64 coin however I have seen coins that look like this in an AU 58 holder as well.

It looks like it lacks luster and is on the dull side.

I see plenty of small marks on both the obverse and reverse of this coin .

It's the totally rare and incredibly valuable missing RI error. Vamworld lists this as the million dollar buffalo error.

Vams are only for Morgan or Peace dollars Einstein .

It's the totally rare and incredibly valuable missing RI error.

How could Rhode Island be missing? It's surrounded by Connecticut.

[font:Comic Sans MS] G-F-D!!! [/font]

It's the totally rare and incredibly valuable missing RI error. Vamworld lists this as the million dollar buffalo error.
:roflmao:

I certainly hope you're joking.

Vams are only for Morgan or Peace dollars Einstein .

:golfclap::tonofbricks:

It's the totally rare and incredibly valuable missing RI error.

How could Rhode Island be missing? It's surrounded by Connecticut.

[font:Comic Sans MS] G-F-D!!! [/font]

What does "G-F-D!!!" mean?

Grease-filled die.

OK, the mystery of the Buffalo has been solved. NGC has determined that the coin has been improperly cleaned and thus only got a UNC details grade. Appears that some kind of fake toning or rather patina was applied to hide the fact of the cleaning. I have just written the seller, Great Southern Coins, that I will file a claim against them if they do not refund the full amount voluntarily.

It's a shame Mark T. was unable to save you the grading and shipping costs. My father always said the best lessons are the costly ones. Thanks for sharing the final outcome with us, I'm sure it will hurt GSC business and maybe help someone else from getting ripped-off.

i am not a whiner and put this down to a normal expense of attending Coin University :)) so far i have sent in maybe 40 coins.... 2/3 were roughly what i thought they would be and the remaining third were positive and negative surprises. its all fun and ok. i think i have another coin that i bought from GSC a year ago. i might post it here and see if its another dud. but even markT who was skeptical from the start with this coin did not call the improperly cleaned fact, but i guess it might be nearly impossible when well hidden.

i am not a whiner and put this down to a normal expense of attending Coin University :)) so far i have sent in maybe 40 coins.... 2/3 were roughly what i thought they would be and the remaining third were positive and negative surprises. its all fun and ok. i think i have another coin that i bought from GSC a year ago. i might post it here and see if its another dud. but even markT who was skeptical from the start with this coin did not call the improperly cleaned fact, but i guess it might be nearly impossible when well hidden.

I warned you about GSC but you did not want to listen . It does not matter that I did not call it out for being cleaned - I could not tell for sure from the picture but your comment about the coin not having luster was a good hint that something was done to it . Most of their stuff is cleaned or has other issues , the grades they assign are a joke. A lot of those Morgan's that you have purchased also have issues , but if you want to spend all that money on grading fees for fun I guess then that is your business.

but even markT who was skeptical from the start with this coin did not call the improperly cleaned fact, but i guess it might be nearly impossible when well hidden.

A quote from me to another board member about this coin sent via PM from when you first put up your pictures of the coin.

...[it has] hairlines, I can just barely make them out. But I didn't mention them in the thread...