• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling all Buffalo Nickel experts for this 1916 gem

52 posts in this topic

not really a nickel kind of guy but i have a bunch of buffalos from when i started coin collecting. came across the seemingly perfect 1916. for me its a 68, what say you....

I am comparing with these Heritage auction results for 67's:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=370&Lot_No=60235&src=pr#PHOTO

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1125&Lot_No=311&src=pr#Photo

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=407&Lot_No=440&src=pr#PHOTO

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=452&Lot_No=278&src=pr#PHOTO

1916front.jpg

1916back.jpg

It could be a 68, but the chances of either of the top TPGs assigning it that lofty grade are pretty remote at best. PCGS has graded none and NGC has graded but one. I don't see it going any higher than 67. It is gorgeous, well struck and no distractions. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.

What is the quote from the Bible?

"A rich man has as much chance of going to heaven as a camel does of passing though the eye of a needle."

At any rate, most collectors have about the same chance of getting a Buffalo nickel into an MS-68 holder. Such grades are a combination of a great coin (I hope) and a lot of luck. :wishluck:

OK, i understand that the really high grades have a lot to do with luck and possibly karma :-)

but would this coin be a solid 67 by most of you people?

It's hard to give a definitive answer based on the pixilated images, but from what I can see it has a great chance. The letters and date are well defined and I don't see any evidence of wear or rubs. I assume it has plenty of luster. I would definitely send it in and see.

The main difference, IMO, in higher grade buffalos is the luster. As far as strike indicators your coin has all the right features.... sparated tail and hind leg, fully struck braids and seems to be an early die too.

i really never talk about the source...

What he is really saying is that he doesn't want to divulge where he got it lest the well runs dry.

Chris

I agree, telling the difference between 66/67/68 from pictures is about impossible. Also, those pictures leave a little to be desired.

It is impossible to grade this coin precisly from those images, however, enough detail is present to preclude it from anything above MS66...there is at least 1 and probably two ticks on the buffallo's front leg.

What he is really saying is that he doesn't want to divulge where he got it lest the well runs dry.

Chris

I already know where he got it , it is a GSC coin, so the chances of this being MS 65 or better are nill.

Chris

I already know where he got it , it is a GSC coin, so the chances of this being MS 65 or better are nill.

I see! Another of the wonderful third-world enterprises whose employees flunked the ANA Grading Seminars.

Chris

I just hope we get to hear how it turns out.

Heritage Auction Archives shows 11 sold for this date in MS67 but none higher. The POP reports show that NGC has graded one MS68 and PCGS none. The Red Book Professional Edition lists the auction record for this issue as a MS67 sold by Bowers & Merana in Aug06 for $10,925.

yes, this will be interesting indeed. markT is caught up in the fallacy that a great raw coin cannot possibly be found on ebay! well, i prove that wrong all the time, i have a whole gallery of coins that i bought for 20-40 bux that are worth hundreds after being graded.

PS and i would never try to find out where somebody posting their coins here got them and post that info here... not good markT...

yes, this will be interesting indeed. markT is caught up in the fallacy that a great raw coin cannot possibly be found on ebay! well, i prove that wrong all the time, i have a whole gallery of coins that i bought for 20-40 bux that are worth hundreds after being graded.

PS and i would never try to find out where somebody posting their coins here got them and post that info here... not good markT...

Ok Count - you post a lot of coins and ask a lot of questions . You post that you send these coins in for grading but not once have you posted the results with a picture of these raw coins slabbed. If you are lucky you can find great raw coins on EBAY , I proved that 2 years ago when I picked up a raw Quarter Eagle for $ 400 that was subsequently graded MS 64 by PCGS. If you don't like people looking on EBAY for the raw coins you post here I suggest you stop posting and asking questions about what we think. The picture of this Buffalo is very typical of the type of images that GSC uses. I did not have to search EBAY to figure that out. Regardless of what you may think, who you buy from on EBAY can determine if you received a good coin or a bad one.

First of all, Mark merely offered a warning to you and collectors in general that you (plural) should be wary of the sellers of raw and purportedly valuable coins because if they were truly valuable, they would already be in an NGC or PCGS holder.

So, you've bought an entire gallery of coins for $20-$40 that are worth hundreds apiece after grading. Where did you get your pricing information? Red Book? Coin Values?

Right! I challenge you to prove your claim. Submit all of your certified coins to a major auction house.........Stacks.........Heritage........TeleTrade.........I'd also mention Scotsman but I wouldn't want to make a lot of work for James for nothing.......and have them set reserves based on your values. I'd almost bet that the majority of your coins would not sell at your prices.

What I find exasperating is that you've come here asking for the input of others, and they have obliged in all sincerity, but when they have asked something of you, you balk at the thought of divulging anything. All of us, here, are more than happy to share our good fortunes, including the names of sources, because that is what makes this hobby thrive and grow.

To me, you are self-centered and greedy. Maybe others feel the same, but they are too polite to say anything. I'm not that way. I learned a long time ago that you can spend your entire life doing everything wrong, and you will never know the difference unless someone tellls you. Keep it up, pal, and you will soon be talking to yourself on these forums.

Sincerely,

Chris Machuga

Cape Coral, FL

you are the only one here without manners, my friend.....

That is an interesting comment - " I am without manners" .

I have been called cocky ,a little arrogant and sometimes a know it all, but lack of manners ??

Ok I am sorry - this buffalo is at least MS 67 and you can find the best Raw coins on EBAY . Do you want me to post what you want to hear or what I think. ?

Maybe you did have some great raw coin purchases, but if you submit everything as you say my bet is that the majority were not, especially if you are buying sight unseen raw on EBAY. AsCPM9ball posted , let us see some of these coins in their NGC holders. Better yet please post this 1916 Buffalo after you send it in for grading .

Count, most people consider it bad form to be denounced for their opinion when that opinion is asked for.

Mark is trying to help a fellow coin collector by asking them where the coins are from. Mark has been burned by bad E-bay purcheses and there are many sellers on E-bay that are known for selling coins using doctored and photoshopped images. These images you have posted happen to look a lot like the images that one of these sellers use.

I have never seen or heard of Mark sniping a coin out from another collector, I have however seen him try his best to keep other collectors from getting screwed. He may be blunt and to the point but he is a good honest collector.