• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Quarter.......Offer a grade.

15 posts in this topic

I cant grade a proof from a picture because the tiniest hairline that does not show up could change the grade by 3 points. It seems to be gem though. Nothing wrong with the strike for a 1950 proof quarter, by the way. Maybe some are thinking this can be compared to later, post 1954 dates, which are much different, much better made coins.

The "IN GOD WE TRUST" looks doubled. Is it a doubled die strike? Nice looking coin.

Just the mirror contrast of the proof. I have seen a lot of proofs that exhibit that characteristic. Rotating and viewing from multiple angles will alleviate the presence of any "doubling".

ANACS GRADES from the early 80s tend to be down-graded 1-2 points, at least in my experience. I concur with my original assessment at PF64, down-grading it for strike. ( BTW, I know that early 50s proof coins tend to be weaker strikes than their later date counterparts.)

I've looked at many coins with these certifcates, and own many of them. I can show you coins that are undergraded, graded correctly and overgraded by today's standards just like all other TPG's coins.

ANACS GRADES from the early 80s tend to be down-graded 1-2 points, at least in my experience. I concur with my original assessment at PF64, down-grading it for strike. ( BTW, I know that early 50s proof coins tend to be weaker strikes than their later date counterparts.)

I've looked at many coins with these certifcates, and own many of them. I can show you coins that are undergraded, graded correctly and overgraded by today's standards just like all other TPG's coins.

I find this exceptionally interesting since our experiences have differed. What series do you collect? Perhaps the grading varies from series to series or perhaps, and even more likely, the coins that I bought from other collectors may have deteriorated more over the years for whatever reason. Since there are too many variables, I should be more cautious in making such dogmatic expressions. Sorry. I keep forgetting that we aren't talking about sonically sealed slabs...

I find this exceptionally interesting since our experiences have differed. What series do you collect? Perhaps the grading varies from series to series or perhaps, and even more likely, the coins that I bought from other collectors may have deteriorated more over the years for whatever reason. Since there are too many variables, I should be more cautious in making such dogmatic expressions. Sorry. I keep forgetting that we aren't talking about sonically sealed slabs...

I am puting together a US type set of Anacs photo certificates, so I collect a wide variety of coins. I currently have over 50 different type coins with certificates from the 80's. Everything from draped bust large cents to to comemorative halves to small denomination gold. In the past few years well over 100 of these have passed through my hands.