• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you help me grade this WLH??

13 posts in this topic

I know ya'll have seen this before and for some reason I don't show a grade for this in my inventory. Can ya'll help me out with your opinions? Thanks!

TonedWLH017.jpg

TonedWLH020.jpg

I am new at this and am going to take a guess. First, the toning does not look NT to me. That aside, the coin appears to be a 64/65. I say that because of the marks at 3 o'clock on the obverse and the rim ding at 7 o'clock on the reverse. I do not see the wear signs on the typical left breast, thigh, or the eagle breast/wing edges. Hope others chip in and I can learn from your example. Looks like a decent Walker to me - other than the tone.

I am new at this and am going to take a guess. First, the toning does not look NT to me. That aside, the coin appears to be a 64/65. I say that because of the marks at 3 o'clock on the obverse and the rim ding at 7 o'clock on the reverse. I do not see the wear signs on the typical left breast, thigh, or the eagle breast/wing edges. Hope others chip in and I can learn from your example. Looks like a decent Walker to me - other than the tone.

Jim Beam, when trying to distinguish AU from MS in pictures, the key is to look for a different color on the high points. In hand, there are many other things to look at, of course. In this pictures, notice how the color is lighter on the high points - her breast, thigh, calf, and on the high points of the eagle's feathers. This is the most reliable tell, although sometimes its difficult to see. When the coin is blast white, it become very difficult - on this coin it is pretty easy once you know what you are looking for.

Hope that helps!

Well it looks like your all in the ballpark of what I was thinking also, AU50. I knew the coin was AT when I bought it about 3yrs ago but I liked the colors. Not your normal fireburned colors. I had only paid $10 for it and thought it was worth the price even being AT'd. Thanks guys!

Thank you for the reply. I think you made some great points. I did look at a number of other coin threads in the "spare a grade" category and I can see a lot of similarities of those high grade coins to this WLH in terms of "light reflection" and toning that can absorb light - all of which can look like wear. I think this thread (like many of the others) does show what a lot of you folks say about the subjectivity of grading and how a picture may not always show the real deal. I am in no way being argumentive here and I truely do appreciate everyone's comments and opinions.