• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does this have a star?

10 posts in this topic

I came across this dollar on ebay. The seller states it's "bright white". My question is why does this deserve a star? It's not even listed as proof-like. As far as the surfaces I would say it looks low-side 65. I just don't understand, I know NGC doesn't just toss these out, but my 65 looks better and has less chatter. Has anyone else seen a common condition MS-65 white with a star?

91280.jpg.1796e793afb01d305bbf6cee2cd342c3.jpg

91281.jpg.dc2e70741b7ff9e0dd6447e11e9cffad.jpg

It's probably borderline PL....usually when a coin just misss a designation like PL or DPL or even when a coin is cameo on one side but not the other it can earn the designation. The star is all about eye appeal and should have nothing to d with whether the coin is low end or high end for the grade. Obviously grading and eye appeal are subjective in nature so in the view of the graders on that day the coin exhibited superior enough eye appeal to warrant the star designation. (thumbs u

PS.....grading and determining eye appeal from a crappy ebay scan is going to get you in all kinds of trouble when shopping for coins.....notice how the label is all bleached out in the scan? Obviously the slab isn't going to come with a label like that which tells you the image in not an accurate representation of what the coin will look like in hand....I bet it's a real stunner in hand with nice contrast and blazing luster (thumbs u

Clearly a PL coin. Look at the overexposure first, like you said the label..

Then look at the fields with that in mind. Boom, reflective deep surfaces, against white frost. PL and my type of coin. Eye appeal for sure !

I understand what everyone is saying regarding the quality of the scan. Scans emphasize contrast. It could be that the devices are cameo and in hand the marks are not that distracting. Without better pics, I wouldn't touch it.

Nice going Schatzy :) now there's a better image. Perhaps a little TOO lustrous ? kept itself from having a Cameo look

Things are much better when shopping for NGC coins isn't it ! KUDOS :D

Horrible images, but I'd guess the obverse is at least PL, and possibly DMPL, while the reverse is normal. This would explain why it looks like too many hits for the GEM level - they are always unfairly exaggerated by delicately reflective fields.