• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improperly Cleaned

3 posts in this topic

I would like to know if NCS would grade or pass on to NGC a coin that has a "No Grade" of "Improperly Cleaned" coin. These are Indian Head Pennies. I tried to see on your Web Site and you give some description of no grade coins that can be graded possibly after being conserved but I didn't read anything about Improperly cleaned. Is it possible it falls under your statement of a "few Others"?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinion in this matter.

Papag

Coins that have been deemed "Improperly Cleaned" often have irreversible damage to the original surfaces such as scratches, hairlines, or similar surface impairments. When a coin that has been previously determined to be "improperly cleaned" is evaluated at NCS, our conservators will look to remove the residues or undesirable toning that is often the unintentional outcome of improper cleaning attempts. Since NCS does not work on moving metal or restoring original surfaces that have been lost, these coins will likely remain "improperly cleaned" but they have more long term stability after NCS treatment.

If a coin which has been judged "improperly cleaned" by a different grading service it can been submitted to NCS for conservation if it will benefit from conservation or it can be submitted for Details Graidng for problem coins.

Chris, NCS Customer Service

Hi Chriss

Thanks so very much for the information and explanation. I will probably be sending in the coins in the next few weeks for your conservation review and Details Grading. Thanks again so much for the help.

PapaG