• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942/41 Mercury error

9 posts in this topic

If it is indeed a 42/41 then it would be worth sending in to NCS to have it evaluated and they might be able to do something with it. Possibility of a scan or picture? Large pictures are nice but not too huge! If it's not then it's probably worth silver content.... $1.25?

Here's a good pic of a 41/42. The Philadelphia version is much easier to notice than the Denver variety. The one shown is the Philadelphia variety. They are both highly sought after.

1942over1Dime.jpg

Tilt the coin every which way possible and if you take enough photos and have enough light one will show the date clearly.

Resist the urge to clean the coin. If it is an overdate you'll lose money should you choose to sell it.

A light rubbing with a toothbrush, or a very light rub with a WOODEN toothpick works very well. We can tell by the images, just try and get a picture up.

Please - nobody do either of these things. Both of these will leave hairlines on your coin. I know this from experience.

A light rubbing with a toothbrush, or a very light rub with a WOODEN toothpick works very well. We can tell by the images, just try and get a picture up.

Please - nobody do either of these things. Both of these will leave hairlines on your coin. I know this from experience.

Really? I've done both with no harm, however I am working with copper which may be a bit more resistant to hairlines than silver. I also used a super soft brush, almost like the ones at barber shops, in a light motion. Not applying pressure is key. But I suppose every action has its risks. But I've never heard of problems with a toothpick as long as you're not digging into the coin.

If its a super soft brush, then it probably won't accomplish much beyond knocking loose surface dirt off anyways. Yes, when I was young and foolish I put pretty severe hairlines in a world coin with a wooden toothpick (the coin was only worth $20, but I still felt bad about it).

My preferred method, as everyone knows, is acetone with a cotton swab. Gently!

I would refrain from this and let the experts at NCS take a crack at it. If you damage the coin, a problem coin will be harder to sell and when you do, you clearly won't get nearly the amount of money that you would have received otherwise.