• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Tripled Die Obverse Newp - 1962D Franklin *Grade Revealed*

16 posts in this topic

Just got this one in the mail, and when I put it under the loupe discovered there is a sweet Triple Die Obverse. All 1962 Franklins (Philly, Denver, and Proofs) have a DDO (light spread on WE TRUST and L of LIBERTY), it was part of the master die. Mine has additional doubling evident as tripling on TRUST and the date. I believe it to be DDO-002, and is a sweet early die state. So, take a look and give me a grade for this puppy. (It is in an NGC holder, so I'll reveal their grade soon!)

Thanks for playing! NGC graded this coin MS-65FBL, and I agree. The obverse, as some of you mentioned, is probably a 64.7, but the reverse is a very strong 65+. 65 is a good grade. The bell lines are also quite strong and uninterrupted. Any weakness you see is a result of my image.

89921.jpg.e3bce598a8587622f6ca580ef17a1db2.jpg

89922.jpg.fbb4199cc5484d68d1718444cc8914c6.jpg

I still can't tell FBL, but they look good to me. 64.5 on the grade...obverse is sharply lower than the reverse in my mind, reverse could 66, but I don't think the obverse would get past a 64, maybe...maybe 65. I think this is a good candidate for a split grade 64/66

What are the scratches on both sides of the coin? Obverse: Behind Franklin's head and below his nose. Reverse: Thru E Pluibus Unum and all around the eagle. Is this coin graded with details? I have some WL Halves in holders (one is an MS-66, NGC) that appear to have similar type of "scratches" and I could not understand how it got that grade even though it is a great looking coin. I like your coin and am not being critical - just trying to learn and understand.

Jim, not a problem at all. They are called die polish lines, and are a mint made effect. For more info, I recommend you read my Registry entry for 1963: 1963

Die polish lines should not detract too much from the grade, but a very heavily polished coin, like my 63, will be limited to 64. These lines are different from cleaning hairlines, and will have a different appearance. Feel free to ask questions if you want to know more.

I agree....64.5....so it could be in an MS64 or MS65 holder....I think either would be appropriate as the reverse is a 65 and the obverse a 64.

You know scratch that....I see enough to tell me the coin should be in a 65 holder. if that coin was mint set toned a lot of those little minor ticks wouldn't even be noticeable and the reverse is PQ 65....so through me in the 65 camp

I read the "link" you provided. Great information - well done. With the knowledge you provided and some practice, I am sure I will be better able to differentiate between "cleanings" and "die polish lines". Thank you!

Jim

Jim, not a problem at all. They are called die polish lines, and are a mint made effect. For more info, I recommend you read my Registry entry for 1963: 1963

Die polish lines should not detract too much from the grade, but a very heavily polished coin, like my 63, will be limited to 64. These lines are different from cleaning hairlines, and will have a different appearance. Feel free to ask questions if you want to know more.

The die polishing lines almost never directly limit the grade. It is when the overall finish of a polished coin has a matte apearance that makes the coin a dull grey and lacking in the pizzaz needed for a gem grade, that the coin gets low-balled. Plenty of heavily polished Franklins can and do grade MS65. Franklin, your 1963 looks gem to me! How's the luster?

Jason..... do you feel this is a FBL? Maybe it's the pictures but there seems to be some weakness and breaks in the lines. Maybe I'm just not understanding the FBL designation.

Yes, I do feel these to be FBLs. Part of the problem is the picture. Keep in mind, capturing every single detail and aspect of a coin is incredibly difficult - if I were to focus solely on the bell lines, you would loose much of the detail in the rest of the coin. I tried to show the bell lines as well as I could, but at the same time show the rest of the coin. The bell lines are very strong, as michael pointed out. There are a couple of minor ticks on the bell lines, especially on the lower set at the center - but this is normally allowed. A couple of minor ticks will not preclude the FBL designation if otherwise well struck. The main tick you see actually only interrupts one line, and is rather small. This is about the limit of what I accept, although NGC will call it FBL with more ticks, I will not. If I can at all help it, I try to avoid even these small ticks, but sometimes it is nearly impossible.

Wow, they are ripping this coin apart over on Cointalk: http://www.cointalk.com/t80220/ The vast majority are calling it no higher than 63, with some saying it should bag for cleaning. So I put it to you, who's right? I say, and most of the NGC people said, 64+ - 65. Most of Cointalk is saying 63/bag.