• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to offer a grade on this Buffalo Nickel? **Grade Revealed**

20 posts in this topic

I'm way out of my comfort zone, but I'm seeing a 63/65. Is that a D/S?

Maybe a bit low on my obverse estimate...I don't know the obverse design as well as the reverse...I wouldn't be shocked at a 65/65 then given other's opinions

When I first saw the photos I was thinking WOW! What a strike, I believe Michael has it right when he calls it hammered from fresh dies!

As for grade, my first inkling was 66/66, but then I saw someone else grade it at 63/65 so I'm going to have to say 66/66! Believe it baby!

The grade on the certificate is MS63/65.

Here are my thoughts. The coin had a haze on the obverse that came completely off with a soak in Acetone. I'm wondering if that haze was there when they graded it and they hit it for the subdued luster.

The grade on the certificate is MS63/65.

Here are my thoughts. The coin had a haze on the obverse that came completely off with a soak in Acetone. I'm wondering if that haze was there when they graded it and they hit it for the subdued luster.

WAS I ON OR WHAT!!! I still think it's nicer than that, but haze or lack of lustre would do the trick. ^^

Article I Sec. 10: "No state shall make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts." Why do I have a pocket full of clad and worthless paper?

I know that this is a bit off topic, but as a constitutional scholar and someone with deep connections to the legal field, I have to respond to your signature line. The answer to your question is follows:

1.) As you expressly state "no state" shall make anything legal tender save for gold or silver. Unfortunately Article I, Section X concerns prohibition to the states only (i.e. it speaks nothing about limitations on the national legislature - those limitations are espoused in Article I, Section IX). It is important to understand that at the time of ratification, foreign coinage and even private coinage did circulated until banned by federal law in 1857.

2.) The U.S. Constitution expressly gives the power to coin money to the Congress in Article I, Section VIII. As such, the implication that the Congress may regulate the type, format, or material or origin of coinage is implicitly permitted, especially in light of the Commerce Clause of Article I, Section 8 and the Necessary and Proper Clause- it is also reasonably implied as to the right to coin money. The powers implied by the Necessary and Proper Clause are responsible for the majority of socioeconomic legislation that you see today.

Sorry - I'm not trying to be annoying; I just thought you would like to know the answer to your question posed in your signature line. Even as a strict constructionist, I feel that a the implication of the Necessary and Proper Clause is correct in this context.

Sorry to be the odd one out again, but I am going with . . . MS-67/67!!

I happen to agree here, and 63? I know ANACS was tough but that... but lay off the peace pipe! Drugs happened int the grading room that day or something. lol