• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow!! Some one is building a super set of seated half dimes

9 posts in this topic

Well, I have not heard the name on that set before, but then again, I don't use my name on my sets either. That was a nice set, but yours is pretty sweet too! I really like your 1842, 1857 and 1871, all very beautiful coins.

So, if you can pardon my ignorance on the series, what is so special about the dates you mentioned?

Ditto what Jeff said! But WOW - an MS68 1863 - went right off of NGC's score charts! I would not have thought that half dimes of those years would include such conditional rarities. Still, I like your set better Toyo, as you have included pictures! grin.gif

Hoot

Thanks for kind words about my set, but the difference between mine and his set is just like little&major league laugh.gif

jtryka-I think his set consist of finest(or second finest) graded example of seated half dimes and the dates I mentioned above(except for 39-O) are key/semi-key of this series.

According to my book, the rarity scale for each mint state examples are

1838-O:R-7, 1839-O:R-1(I disagree!!), 1846: R-7, 1852-O: R-6, 1865-S: R-5

but I think both 1839-O and 1865-S are undervalued.

1846 is my dream coin. I've been looking for this date for a few years and haven't even seen a picture of mint state example yet.

It is my opinion that toyonakataro is justifiably impressed with that collection. A lot of people poo-poo the Seated H10C series in comparison with the dimes, quarters, halves and dollars because they are tougher either because of scarcity of too many dates, size of set for completion, or popularity and price.

The truth is that that series is tough too, and contains its fair share of absolute and condition scarcities.

EVP