• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 S Type I Buffalo Nickel....Guess the grade. **Grade Revealed**

10 posts in this topic

I'm gonna have to agree with Mark here. It has some slight wear especially the hair around the horn. Don't know what anacs would have graded it.

I will go with AU-50, but just barely. The weak LIBERTY and two prominent obverse scratches make me want to drop it down to the EF level, but it's possible ANACS provided a "scratched" disclaimer on the cert.

AU?? It has a fairly weak strike to my eye. I would say EF-40 tops, as it looks worn on the high points. What's the mark on the right of the buffalo?

AU?? It has a fairly weak strike to my eye. I would say EF-40 tops, as it looks worn on the high points. What's the mark on the right of the buffalo?
A weak strike doesn't turn an AU coin into an XF one. And an AU coin typically has wear on the high points, so I don't understand your reasoning for an "XF40 tops".

A weak strike doesn't turn an AU coin into an XF one. And an AU coin typically has wear on the high points, so I don't understand your reasoning for an "XF40 tops".

Yes I know a weak strike shouldn't knock a grade down, but I've seen it happen.

I felt the wear was too great for an AU grade as there also appeared to be dirt or something else around the devices.

Nonetheless we were both off, me low and you high, so it's right at a happy medium.

Cheers

I will go with AU-50, but just barely. The weak LIBERTY and two prominent obverse scratches make me want to drop it down to the EF level, but it's possible ANACS provided a "scratched" disclaimer on the cert.

My guess is that some "silent net-grading" did indeed go on behind the scenes on this one.