• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEGS coins

21 posts in this topic

What % of SEGS coins are graded correctly? If the % is even 1% then are there any coins in SEGS holders to be cherry picked, since the vast majority of them are just stupid-graded and sold for heavy discounts?

Sounds like the risk/reward is not worth it. Most/all of SEGS coins I have seen have also been junk....why did anyone waste their money on those clowns in the first place, or was it a well orchestrated scam?

To what I perceive as NGC/PCGS standards, I would guess 3 - 5 %.

Many coins are given the correct "grade" for details, but do not feature a proper disclaimer for problems, so I am considering them improperly graded.

james is correct and these rare correctly graded decent coins are cracked and submitted to pcgs/ngc or left raw as the correctly non problems decent eye appealling coin is usually worth more raw than in a segs holder which make the 3-5% number james suggests even smaller

I do not know but I have not heard of many good coins being in their holders. As most have stated they have issues of some sort.

I've owned 5 SEGS slabbed coins. Of them I feel 4 are accurately graded. I had one piece crossed over to NGC at a 1 point loss (SEGS MS64RB to NGC MS63RB, coin was a nickel on a cent planchet error ND). I did pick 4 of them up at $1 each, which is less than the value for the coins raw, seems like the grading was a waste...

One of the MAJOR advantages of SEGS for years was that they were about the only service that would attribute the coins by variety, and their attributions were, and still are, MUCH more likely to be accurate than the other services.

OK there was the fake 1795 dollar in the SEGS slab, but PCGS has slabbed fakes as well. Just this past week a fake 1799 large cent (altered date) was sold on eBay in a Genuine PCGS slab. And I know of a fake 1804 cent that was in a problem free PCGS slab. If even the big boys make mistakes you can't demand that the smaller guys must be perfect.

SEGS or SGS as there is a difference.

I've seen a couple of really decent coins in SEGS holders. One was an 1848-C quarter eagle.

From what I've seen of SGS coins, they are batting .000.

I think that there is a difference although you have to be carful about SEGS items. With SGS it's pretty much of a slam dunk. They are all bad. :sick:

SEGS or SGS as there is a difference.

With SGS it's pretty much of a slam dunk. They are all bad. :sick:

With the exception of them missing a few significant die varities!

This:

scan0001W.jpg

Turned into this:

IKE1972T2TalonHead13329933PCGSMS64S.jpg

For about $53 bucks.

What I don't understand is why these second tier companies don't tighten their standards. Grading coins is not rocket science. Most experienced collectors can probably grade 95% of coins accurately. Of course there will always be that 5% that need a professional oppinion concerning authenticity or alterations.

I can only believe that one, either their graders are totally incomptent or two, they purposly cater to that shady segment of the hobby that wants problem coins in problem free holders to dupe unsuspecting collectors.

What I don't understand is why these second tier companies don't tighten their standards. Grading coins is not rocket science.

Without directing this comment at a particular company, let me say that they are not in the business of grading, but are in the business of scamming. That is why one should always stick to NGC or one of the other three companies.

not long ago I bid on 2008w proof 70 dcam graded by pcgs I won the coin when I received it , I was very shocked it was in a pcgs holder labeled 2008w $50.00 gold buffalo proof 70 dcam but it was a ms70  gold buffalo.

so I guess they all make mistakes even mistaking a ms coin for a proof. the auction let me return it.

S0-called 'mechanical errors' where the incorrect information on the label does not match the coin is a re-occurring problem with all the grading services, they just deal with it in the end. The SEGS holders are over graded and do not have the correct information to buy 'sight unseen' coins, big difference.

Note: SGS all coins are MS-70 or PR-70 every dang one of them.

What I don't understand is why these second tier companies don't tighten their standards. Grading coins is not rocket science.

The short answer is, they can't. If they grade coins conservatively, the coins will be cracked out and sent to NGC or PCGS. No one will pay the "real price" for them because those companies don't get enough respect in the market to get the higher prices from most collectors. I wish that were not true because more competition in the grading business would be good for collectors. It would help to keep the major grading companies on their toes.

People send coins to these companies three reasons (1) the service is cheap, (2) they are looking for inflated grades, or (3) they don't know any better.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, WoodenJefferson said:

S0-called 'mechanical errors' where the incorrect information on the label does not match the coin is a re-occurring problem with all the grading services, they just deal with it in the end. The SEGS holders are over graded and do not have the correct information to buy 'sight unseen' coins, big difference.

Note: SGS all coins are MS-70 or PR-70 every dang one of them.

The Ike dollar above was not a 70.