• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to grade this 1928 Peace Dollar?

17 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to this board but have experience with Peace Dollars.

I appreciate the good information here and hope I can contribute.

I have a raw 1928-P Peace Dollar with good luster..

I'm concerned about the light scratches on the obv eyebrow and cheek.

Otherwise I think it should go MS63-64.

My question: Does it have a shot at getting a clear grade if I send it in?

The pics below are an accurate representation.

Thanks much in advance, -Ron

28obv.jpg28rev.jpg

I have a couple of MS64s that don't look as nice as yours. Based on that I would say at least 65, maybe 66. Not really my series, but I sure like it.

It looks like a 64 to me, due to the vertical scratch to the left of the hair strands to the right of Liberty's cheek, as well as more minor flaws in her central hair and on her neck.

I would have to agree with 64 and maybe 65. The hairline scratches looks as tho' they are more noticable with the light reflecting off them. I do see some contact marks in the hair below the crown as mark mentioned. these may keep it at a 64. Nice looking Peace Dollar tho'.

Thanks much to all for the input,

looks like it's worth a shot to submit.

If I get a 63-64 out of it I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again, -Ron

I would have guessed MS-63. Although I am one to often caution against the cost of certification, this an instance where you should get it certified. The value of this coin even in MS-63 is strong enough to warrant the investment, plus if you dig get an MS-64, then :banana: !

Oh, and Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

I

I am new here, so be patient with me. I would love to grade coins. How do I go about it if anyone knows? Is it a school or what? Thank you so much. :busy:

Welcome to the forums!

Honestly I'm in the same boat. I would love to work for a TPG, just to expand my numismatic knowledge and help train my eye. I do know that during the ANA summer seminar they offer courses on coin grading, and the do it again during the ANA World's Fair of Money. It's always a good place to start. I do believe they also have online or electronic courses.

I

I am new here, so be patient with me. I would love to grade coins. How do I go about it if anyone knows? Is it a school or what? Thank you so much. :busy:

You need a minimum of 1200 on your Sat’s in order to get into coin grading college. Then you have to suffer through 4 difficult years of school.

It is a good idea to do post graduate studies and get at least an MBA in coin grading . Only if you receive a PHD in coin grading will you be allowed to work for PCGS or NGC.

All kidding aside – there are classes you can take at major coins shows and books to read to get you started.

I

If you can't pay for school then the best way to learn how to grade, I feel,

#1- Buy some grading books (I like Photograde & ANA Grading Standards)

#2- Stay to the coin forums that you are comfortable with, find the topics referring to grading a coin, look at the coins and familiarize yourself with some of the flaws and positive characteristics that more knowledgeable members maybe referring to.

#3- Learn numismatic terms and thier definitions such as: Hairlines, Dipping, Polished, and you could probably yahoo search these type coins and find some pics for reference.

There is alot you can do to help you to grade coins. Stick around, this place helps alot!! Btw, welcome again!!

I

You need a minimum of 1200 on your Sat’s in order to get into coin grading college. Then you have to suffer through 4 difficult years of school.

It is a good idea to do post graduate studies and get at least an MBA in coin grading . Only if you receive a PHD in coin grading will you be allowed to work for PCGS or NGC.

All kidding aside – there are classes you can take at major coins shows and books to read to get you started.

YES! I'm qualified with my 1350. I'm suffering through my 2nd year of school right now...

Very nice, better date, 1928 Peace dollar. It is really too bad about the scratches. The coin would be at least a stone-cold MS65 in strike and in luster. Beautiful Peace dollar.