• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Registry admission poll

ANACS's admission to NGC's Registry  

240 members have voted

1. 1. ANACS's admission to NGC's Registry

20 posts in this topic

Mixed feelings; this is a slippery slope.

I really appreciate NGC's including PCGS coins, as my own collection is a bit PCGS-heavy.

But, PCGS is the only other grading service generally considered on equal ranking with NGC among professionals. ANACS and ICG are in the next tier down and have good people with respected credentials, and the ANA recognizes them accordingly. But, in terms of market value, all other factors being completely equal (i.e., sight unseen), PCGS is the only one that equals NGC.

ICG is gaining, albeit slowly. ANACS is kind of working on a comeback; but, to include them means to include all of them, including any off-years.

For the moment, I'm happy with the present arrangement, since any ICG or ANACS coins I buy will likely be bought with the intention of cross-over grading, possibly at a downgrade loss.

Before the giant TPG brouhaha mash-up a couple of years ago, I would have definitely voted yes. I believe I did argue in favor of allowing ANACS into the Registry at that point, and denying ICG access. Since ICG and ANACS underwent their major changes, my opinions have changed. I essentially have lost almost all respect for ANACS, and I've liked what I've been seeing from ICG. I do not think at this point, however, that either of them should be added to the NGC Registry.

Absolutely not. Few ANACS coins are graded properly. Most are overgraded or undergraded, and many more have unmentioned problems that would cause them to bodybag. Also, ANACS has changed hands, and graders, enough times that its overall consistency is questionable...its practically several unique grading services under one name.

Since the take over of ANACS by James Taylor and the "stealing" of ICG employees, ANACS has changed from the top of the second tier to a company supporting home shopping shills. Just as Taylor took over ANACS, he signed an agreement with Coin Vault at HSN. Since then, there are a lot of MS70 and PR70 moderns being hawked on HSN. I wonder how much of this is purposeful grade inflation? Even if ANACS is doing this for HSN, what happens when these coins are on the market and mixed with other, properly graded coins? This is very worrisome.

As for ICG, I thought they were beginning to get their legs again after moving to Florida. However, since ICG's owners, Mark and Alan Yaffe, are in bankruptcy over National Gold Exchange and Gainesville Coins, there is a question over ICG's future viability. The last I read, the bankruptcy court wanted to change the proceedings from Chapter 11 (reorganization) to Chapter 7 (liquidation). This could complicate life for ICG.

One I would like to see considered is Dominion Grading Service. DGS was born out of the ashes of PCI by the same folks who own David Lawrence Rare Coins. I had the chance to review a few DGS slabbed coins and they looked very accurately graded. The dealer I was talking with also thought the coins were very accurately graded, one possibly was under graded! We talked about cracking it out and sending it to NGC or PCGS to see what they say.

In short, I would say no to ANACS and ICG. I would say "maybe" to DGS.

Scott :hi:

DGS is definitely on the up and up. I had the chance to peruse a quantity of DGS coins recently and liked what I saw. However, they are very new and have not yet gotten enough of a reputation. They are certainly one to watch!

make it 17-2 now....I must qualify this by saying that I have cracked out 11 old ANACS small slabs ( four with blue on white and ANA hologram and the other 7 were the little white ones with the green letters).

I did these crackouts so that I could add them to a registry set I was building...

Results?..all 11 slabbed.....6 at the same grade..4 with a point upgrade and one jumped from AU58 to NGC MS63...needless to say, when I see old ANACS slabs selling for half the cost of an NGC or PCGS coin in the same grade--I give them a long look......

If there would be any way to allow only OLD ANACS slabs in, the small ones, then yes. From the Lincolns I've seen in ANACS holders, MS67RD ~ NGC or PCGS MS66RD, with a few pieces accurately graded. I haven't found any arguments with grades 66- but haven't seen any higher grade pieces, save for a single PR69, which was right on, and a PR70 I was absolutely in love with, and SHOULD have been in an NGC PR70 holder to better contrast the white with the rich red color.

jackson64 is right. It all comes down to our collector eyes. We all know that there is alot of subjectivety in grading. You've got to go with your eye. Sometimes the top TPGs will not agree. But if you know you've got an MS65 and it comes back lower it's just an opinion.

We are collectors. It's our judgement that counts. If a second party disagrees so be it. The advent of TPGs in the mid 80s was important in bringing some stability to markets. The sight unseen market has exploded because of a sense of a market standard. And that has been good for numismatics.

Bowers, Breen, Ruddy etc. have all weighed in with their grading criteria. Another opinion, allbeit opinions with high regard---but still subjective.

That's what makes our hobby/avocation/business so much fun.

BTW I vote NO. NGC and PCGS in my experience are the most consistent TPGs. Although I have my differences with both they are more consistent than ANACS

I voted no. There are some nice coins in Anacs holders and particularly in the old white and green holders. More recently however, I’m less impressed with Anacs grading skills.

I believe that ANACs coins in the Registry would be a big plus for many collectors. I have a very nice run of Indian Head Cents in the old ANACs holders and feel that their grading was right on. I can't handle the expense of crossing them over to NGC or PCGS but would love to include them in my sets.

I said no but I think that most coins in the old ANACS holders (pre 2002) were fairly graded and accurate. However as money allows I find I am cracking coins out of these and sending them to NGC because I like the edgeview holders better.

From experience I have found that United States coins grade about the same between ANACS and NGC but whoever was grading the older European material at ANACS was very conservative. I have had coins jump up two grades, which was a nice suprise. On the other hand I had an Australian sovereign go from PCGS MS62 to NGC MS61.

I am about to send in five French 20F Gold Roosters to NGC to complete my registry that were in old ANACS holders. If anyone is interested I'll report back in a month or so and compare the grade differences.

ANACS has had too many owners who allowed their standards to go down. ICG has also not been consistent. As a collector I''d like to see more good grading companies, but I will not give sub-par companies a free pass.

I am obviously in the minority, but I believe the NGC Registry should include ONLY NGC holdered coins. The PCGS Registry is set up correctly. If ANACS wants to have a Registry for only their coins, that would be fine with me.

Only recently I entered both the PCGS and NGC Registries at a basic level. In checking out the competition, I see some sets heavy on PCGS, and some sets heavy on NGC. There is no question in my mind which set is the strongest.