• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprinted high grade coin. What to do?

3 posts in this topic

I just received an NGC MS68 silver 1976 business strike Ike from eBay. The seller was honest and pointed out the fingerprint on the coin.

My question is, do I need to send this into NGC's curration service for this or will NGC warranty the coin and remove the fingerprint if I send it directly to them?

I know this fingerprint had to be applied during the grading/holdering process otherwise if it had already been on the coin it wouldn't have received the MS68 grade.

Should I be responsible for the cost of removing it (outside of shipping and possibly a reholdering fee)?

• Administrator

Please feel free to send the coin to NGC under the Appearance Review Service, free of charge. We will be happy to look it over and possibly remedy the problem.

What is the NGC Appearance Review Service?

If you have a coin that you believe is either

A) Overgraded

B) Has an appearance such that it is unmarketable

NGC will review the coin free of charge (you pay shipping)

And if we agree with you, we will remedy the situation in one of the following ways, at our option:

A) Perform conservation to address the appearance problem.

B) Replace the coin

C) Lower the coins grade, and pay you the difference in fair market value as determined by us. Payment in account credit where possible.

If a coin is sent back with no changes, it is because NGC has determined that the coin was acceptable for the grade, in spite of whatever negative attributes may exist. NGC appearance review is not a "free conservation service", rather it is an effective way for NGC to protect consumers and in doing so, continually improve our product in the marketplace.