• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to offer a grade on this NC Liberty Nickel. ***Grade Revealed***

10 posts in this topic

It was graded in 1984 by Anacs with a photo certificate.

1883O1.jpg1883R1.jpg

I tend to agree with Anacs on this one, even by today's standards. I will deffinately be looking for a better example for the cert. type set, but for now it does fill a hole. It's the first 83 NC I've come across. For such a common coin, I'm suprised I havn't seen more.

1883ncms60.jpg

MS-63.

Minor rim marks + the mark to the left of the "V" on the reverse make this a lower end Mint State coin.

(thumbs u

Is there a problem with it that we don't see? Or had they not invented grades like 64 yet? Because there is no way that beauty is only a 60.

60, 63 65 and 67 were the grades used for Unc. during this time. The rim nicks, subdued luster and the abrasion in the reverse field keep this from a 63. It might make a 61 or 62 by today's standards, but with this date, there isn't much difference.

JJ

Is there a problem with it that we don't see? Or had they not invented grades like 64 yet? Because there is no way that beauty is only a 60.

There was a period when ANACS grading was very conservative. For example I bought a 1909-S-VDB cent that had a VF-20 ANACS certificate with it in 1983. Today that coin is in an NGC EF-40 holder. NGC got it right.

I think the MS grades in ANACS papers era were 60, 63, 65 and probably 67. I'm not sure about MS-64, but I know that they did not use MS-61 and 62. This coin does not qualify for MS-64 for reasons I mentioned earlier. And if ANACS thought that it fell short of MS-63, MS-60 was the only choice.