• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1954 D Franklin Guess the Grade

11 posts in this topic

Just got this coin in the mail. Guess the grade! Its in my registry set, so if you can't wait for me to reveal the grade, you can look there :)

I'm not very happy with the reverse picture, but it was the best I could get out of 20 tries.

82994.jpg.ed8847fd24268f735990025ba9f68097.jpg

82995.jpg.2121107635d0c0f40dd612b587fec2a0.jpg

MS64FBL, but it is hard to tell the reverse in the picture so the FBL is a guess.

Which is why I'm not satisfied with the pictures..... In hand, it is a very clear, no question, extra bold strike, typical of the 1954D.

It is a 65 FBL, upgrading the 64 FBL I had in my set (*SPAM* and which will be listed for sale soon, if anyone's interested). In hand, it is quite clearly a 65, and a very nice one at that.

hi physics...I have a question about the way Franklin's are graded for designation, maybe you can inform some of us who are not as familiar with the series as yourself. There is a small "nick/tick" to the left about midway between the rim and crack....is this something that sometimes precludes a coin from getting the FBL designation? Do PCGS and NGC have the same criteria concerning this?...thanks for any knowledge you can pass along...Jackson

I am not sure about PCGS' policy regarding nicks on the bell lines. They only use the bottom set of lines to give the designation, which many collectors believe is insufficient, myself included.

NGC uses both sets of lines for the designation. They do allow one or two minor nicks to disturb the lines, if the rest of the lines are exceptionally strong. This is in contrast to, for example, Full Steps, where nicks are not allowed. I generally prefer to get examples without marks on the bell lines, but, like NGC, I will make an exception sometimes. The bell lines on this example are incredibly full and bold, even for a 1954D (which is generally one of the best struck dates in the series), hence my acceptance of the small mark on this coin.