• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Compare & Grade 2 Walkers Please

9 posts in this topic

I recently spied these 2 Walkers at a recent auction..both are very attractive

A quick insight into the 1945-D...one of the easier and best struck dates of the short set, many high grade examples exist in MS66+ and the luster can be satiny or exhibit the brilliant "flowlines" look..I'd really like some informed opinions..in fact all opinions are appreciated..

82923.jpg.0470929cad9be6cceddf3eb40eeb06cc.jpg

82924.jpg.0a4c73957aa5466121c5f08225c13361.jpg

82925.jpg.305cc422cb8316cf585a965ab6de4273.jpg

82926.jpg.2bcfe4fcd956785183e10e47bb33195f.jpg

I like the first one better, it appears to be better struck. The second one has an unfortunate mark behind Liberty, and a gash across the wing. Of course, both are great, but if I could only have one, I would take the first.

I'd grade the first one 66, the second one 65.

And Now--the rest of the story..................(Rest in Peace Paul Harvey)

I am always looking for upgrades to my short set and I saw that there was an MS67 of a 1945-D with a start bid of $1000-- I looked at it and it was the second coin (shrug) needless to say I did not bid ( and I don't think anyone else did either since the "Prices Realized" section did not show the coin as sold)...

Out of curiousity I took a look at the preceding lot..an MS66 ( everyone got the first coin's grade right :golfclap: ) I already own a very nice MS66 for the date so wasn't in the market but I thought $250 was a fair price for the well struck coin and its satiny luster...

Unfortunately, the slab grade will eventually lead the second coin to sell for multiples of the first coin's realized price. This is why I am always patient in my collecting and try to learn all I can...5 years ago I might have bought that MS67 slab.. doh!

How PCGS could grade the 2nd coin MS67 with two obvious faults is beyond me.

MS66 for the 1st coin is right on the money.

I'm not as big a fan of the first coin as the rest of you are. Yes the luster looks great, but there are rim nicks of the left side in addition to the to marks on the sun and the one in the right field. This stuff might sound trivial, but once you get passed MS-65, it starts to matter.

The second one is over graded by a point.

This is not unusual for graded Walkers. When I was dealer, the best values were among the hand picked MS-64 coins. Most of the coins in MS-65 were no better than the best pieces in MS-64 holders and were half or less the price.

About three years ago the bids for MS-65 Walkers feell like a stone. Dealers were begging me to buy them at the shows for 10% or more off bid, and it was easy to know why.

That's an excellent point Bill, and also an apt analogy..the price break/jump is similar from the 64<>65 grade to the 66<>67 grades..about a 3x jump ...it really does pay to be patient and wait for a PQ coin...sadly, an upgrade for a collection does not always equal an upgrade in the slab grade...