• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 N/C 5c

10 posts in this topic

$0.75 at Frank Katen's coin shop, 1970 or 71. His wife informed him, as she always did, that he was 'giving the store away'. I got the Walking Liberty half I'm about to post for the other $1.00 of my allowance - she really screamed then!

Apparently she is still around, and probably about 100 years old. Frank died n 1998 at 98 years of age.

Here's the coin...

100_0362.jpg100_0365-1.jpg

Thanks,

Landon Johnson

I don't know the series that well, but it sure does have one nice strike. The hair and wreath details look like it's just fresh out of the mint. Barring any marks or hairlines that aren't visible in the photo, I would think it would be at least MS65.

There look to be disturbances between stars 3 and 4, between stars 12 and 13, and chatter on Liberty's neck. There might also be signs of contact on Liberty's cheek, and I see flaws around and above the V on the reverse. It looks like MS64 as a best case scenario, with 63 or lower, more likely.

I'm probably nuts, but I think I see a slider here. AU-58 is my guess.
James, you most assuredly are nuts! But you might very well be right about the grade ;)

I tend to agree with James on this one. There are some surface disturbances which might indicative of the AU-58 grade. At any rate, if it’s Mint State it’s on the lower levels of Mint State.

This is an 1883 “no cents” nickel. The word “cents” did not appear on the coin, only a “V.” This prompted some people to gold plate them and try to pass them as $5 gold pieces. People heard about the design change and hoarded them thinking that they would be collectors’ items. The hoarding had the opposite affect. The coin is actually pretty common in this grade. It has a lower mintage than the 1883 “with cents” nickel, but it is easier to find in grades like this.

I agree that this is a fairly common coin, and looks MS60 to me.

For seventy five cents though I wouldn't complain.