• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Gem Uncirculated vs. MS or PF grading

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am new to this, so learning is my thing right now. I recently got a NGC slabbed coin which is Gem Uncirculated versus a PF or MS grading. Can someone tell me the difference other than the fact the Gem Uncirculated gets no points in the registery.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hugh in OKC

Pretty sure this was just a label for some dealers. Their customers didn't understand the point system.. something along those lines

Guest Joiseygirl

bnsfhobo,

For the purposes of the NGC Registry, a coin graded as 'Gem Uncirculated' would be translated as an MS65. When you try to register this coin it will fail because it has not been assigned a numeric grade. However, I would subsequently process it as an MS65.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

Hey Amy,

Thanks for the fast response. Does this mean I would need to resubmit the coin to get it graded? Why would they grade it as Gem Uncirculated instead of giving it the MS65 grading? Hope these aren't stupid questions. I appreciate your help.

Hugh in OKC

Hugh,

When a dealer submitts coins the dealer can request that all coins that don't meet

the MS66 grade or above get slabbed in Gem Unc holders. Often times a Gem

Unc holder will sell for more than the graded holder. Amy said she will register

your coin as MS65. Yes you would need to get it regraded to get the MS65 put

onto the label.

Guest Joiseygirl

bnsfhobo,

For the purposes of the Registry it is not necessary for you to resubmit this coin for Regrade. However, I would recommend you do if you want a numeric grade assigned.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'