• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1932-S Washington Quarter

18 posts in this topic

I hate to be skunk in the room, but I’d only give it a VF-30 for sharpness, and I’m concerned about the surfaces. Here’s an 1932-D quarter, which I bought as part of a collection, that had been whizzed. This coin looks eerily like it with light coat of toning that does not look the the same on both sides.

1932-DQuarterO.jpg1932-DQuarterR.jpg

Bill,

The coin has been in my collection for 10 years and has been stored in a airtite the whole time.

My grandpa carried it in the little pocket on his bibs for over 10 years.

He said it was his lucking coin and he didn't leave home with out it.

I hoped that the coin was never whizzed!!

Whizzing has been around, at least with the little brushes, since the 1960s. That coin does not have to look of a pocket piece to me. The surfaces on the reverse especially concern me. Using the ANA Grading guide, I think the piece fall just short of EF, but modern coins of this era are a bear to grade because their designs didn't have detail from the beginning.

All I did was express an opinion after you asked for one. You are free to accept or reject it. The others so far think this coin is okay and gradeable. The finial opinion might have to come from a TPG or a dealer if you try to sell it. But it's a marginal call for a slab because the VF - EF bid range is from $165 to $210. And the AU bid is only $220 which would make an EF hard sell for the bid IMO.

Bill,

I value your opinion. I will never ever sell this coin. I just wanted it slabbed to help

protect the coin. I think the toning has come since it has been in my possesion.

I really hopes it doesn't boby bag!!

Bill,

I value your opinion. I will never ever sell this coin. I just wanted it slabbed to help

protect the coin. I think the toning has come since it has been in my possesion.

I really hopes it doesn't boby bag!!

I hope that it does not get a body bag also. I hope that I called this one wrong.

Hey all:

I agree with those who are giving this a VF grade... I am worried about the reverse though; it looks like there is no detail to the eagle's chest (maybe from several years serving as a lucky quarter in a pair of overalls). I am usually harsh when I grade my own coins, so I wonder what others think.

Brad

I think it should def grade. It doesn't look at all whizzed to me. The coin lacks the dull quality you'd expect on a whizzed coin. It has decent color as you'd exect from a coin of its' age.

The motto is a little weak as is the obverse. Nice coin, going with vf-30/35.

Good luck

Schatzy I would keep this one raw. You don’t need to have it slabbed to protect it.

On the topic of wizzing , I have a whizzed Au Barber dime I bought when I was a kid that was grading as “Gem Bu” Picture attached.

82451.jpg.9a83fe51b18f9aae6da8da0416832712.jpg

The motto is a little weak as is the obverse. Nice coin, going with vf-30/35.

The motto is always weak on the 1932 quarters. It's the nature of the beast.