• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1888 Newfoundland $2 Gold

5 posts in this topic

This is an 1888 Newfoundland $2 Gold coin. These were minted between 1865-1888 and are quite scarce.

1888.jpg

Photos were taken after it was submitted to NGC.

Guess the grade!

Using U.S. coin grading standards, it is an AU.

Have photographed a number of gold coins, I'm not going to put a number on the AU grade because photos don't always give you a good enough image to do that.

I think it's a really cool coin, and if I were to lose my focus and get into more things than I should, I would probably buy on these for my collection.

NGC AU-58. One point shy of Mint State. Sharp eyes on this forum...

Newfoundland coins lately have become quite popular and the prices have started to go way up. The $2 gold coins are no exception and some dates are VERY rare.

There were only 25000 1888 $2 coins minted, and that's actually the common one! Mintage on most of the other dates range from about 2500-10000.

I am a type collector and don't intend to try and assemble a set of these. Alas my pockets are not that deep. But this coin fits nicely into my US gold type collection between the $1 and $2-1/2 gold coins.

WARNING! These are being counterfeited by the Chinese and I would advise potential buyers to shop around and avoid raw examples unless you absolutely trust the seller. You'll sleep better at night buying an NGC, PCGS or ANACS certified example.