• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade and Overton

12 posts in this topic

Looks like an LDS O-111. I would grade it XF 45 no matter what it says on the holder. I also like the pics and the coin itself. Would be more than pleased with this one. As far as the TPG goes, it does not look like an NGC or ANACS holder, so I would guess some third world holder and the coin is graded MS-63!

Looks like a solid XF45 with lots of luster in the protected areas. O-111 looks right, too, and the coin is very softly struck on the culrs and feathers. If the luster is more intense and shows into the middle of the fields, it will be a higher grade than XF45, but the pictures do not reveal this.

Oops. 112. But I can't see the dentils in that stoopid slab...

A guido is a bustie that got itself pinched in the edge lettering machine, the pinches occurring on opposite sides of the planchet. The lettering should be all screwed up if you were to crack the coin and look at the edge. The coin should also be out of round, as this appears to be...

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

This coin was slabbed by ANACS, EF-45, O-112, R3. I think the grade is right on, the traces of luster are in the protected areas, but not out into the fields like my 1830.

I did notice something was up with the dentils, but I was unfamiliar with this guido thing. Yes, the coin appears slightly out of round. Does a guido affect the value at all, either positive or negative?

The value should not really be effected, except if you just happened to be in a bidding war with guido collectors... :slapfight:

I was going to say EF-45 in an old ANACS holder. A day late, a dollar short.

I have the same year in an old ANACS holder certified as EF-40. I should photograph it and post the photo here for comparison. Better yet I should bust it out some day and see what NGC says.

I had no idea about guido coins. Interesting.