• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1908 Faido-Ticino Swiss Shooting (Schutzenfest) Medal - Guess The Grade!

5 posts in this topic

This is a 1908 Faido Swiss Shooting (Schutzenfest) Medal from Ticino, Richter catalog # 1441a.

This large (45mm) silver medal was designed by Holy Freres, and is even scarcer than Richter indicates. (Maybe a few dozen still exist this nice worldwide.) I bought this from Rod Moore, one of the most knowledgeable Schutzenfest collectors in the United States.

He shipped it right away as always (Rod is a national treasure) but my mailman never left a delivery notice and for two weeks I worried that it had been lost in the mail.

When it finally arrived I literally jumped for joy.

1908Faido-1.jpg

1908Faido-2.jpg

Photos were taken before it was submitted to NGC. I apologize for the obverse being slightly out of focus, I shot it 15+ times and it simply refused to cooperate. You can't win them all!

Guess the grade!

au-64

light rub on high points??

so..................

really choice au high points

with the rest of the surfaces of the coin choice unc.

The artwork on these medals is fantastic. Very appealing. You should consider writing an article on these for some numismatic magazine, because I'm guessing most collectors (myself included) are very unfamiliar with these shooting medals.

NGC MS64. Absolutely spot on grade. The photos do not do it justice.

One day I might write an article on the Holy Freres medals. Compared to some people I am an absolute novice on the subject, but that has never stopped me before!