• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difficult Grading Test........Test Your Skills.**Grade Revealed**

25 posts in this topic

For me this is in the top 3 most difficult series to grade. Take a shot at grading this piece.

1911O.jpg1911R.jpg

Here is what Anacs graded the coin in 1980. It would be interesting to see what NGC or PCGS would grade it if submitted today.

1911anacs.jpg[

Based on the images, it looks like an MS64 to me. But because images almost always hide flaws, I'll guess MS63 as the assigned grade. And of course if there is rub on the Indian's cheek, which isn't apparent in the images, it could be an AU58.

Still, most of the initial responses on the PCGS forum seem way too conservative to me - even if it turns out that their low grade guesses are "right", based on grading from the images provided, they are wrong. ;)

too many marks in the field and rim dings this coin has seen ever so slight circulation so it is an au-58 on steroids with great lutre and color

it would be a shame in an au 58 holder

so i will say market graded ngc ms 61-62

pcgs 61

and the other half of the equasion is this coin if it got an au58 at pcgit would sell for 61 money

Is that a rim ding on the OBV above the "E" on "LIBERTY"?

Anyhow, I'm no good on these, but I'm gonna have to say 58 due to some lite lines on the reverse which could lead one to believe it saw extremely lite circulation.

I'd grade it MS-64.

When the mint apporaved the incuse design for quarter eagle and half eagle they thought this would endure for years in circulation. What they found out was that with fields holding the highest surfaces on the coin, that the coins were easily marked and became unattractive WAY too fast in circulation.

This also made high Mint State grade examples of the quarter eagle and MOST especially the half eagle very scarce. This looks to be a very nice piece to me.

Based on the images, it looks like an MS64 to me. But because images almost always hide flaws, I'll guess MS63 as the assigned grade. And of course if there is rub on the Indian's cheek, which isn't apparent in the images, it could be an AU58.

On my monitor, discoloration is readily evident on the cheek. I interpreted this (correctly, apparently) as wear. I wasn't nearly as sure on the reverse, but the feathers seemed to be mildly disturbed. I'm not familiar with gold at all - and you can tell us better, having it in hand, relic - but is that wear or weak strike on the feathers? I interpreted it as wear, but I'm not sure.

Grade revealed in original post.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to grade from a picture !! That coin is a better then Au 55. I can not see any friction.

That coin is a better then Au 55. I can not see any friction
And/or the images don't portray it accurately.

Of course an image can never with 100% accuracy portray a coin, but these images are very accurate.

It does look a bit like a rub on the cheek ? would it be that duller area next to a shiny bit ? just below the eye.. shiny then goes dull.. and the tip of the nose ? is that wear ?

Finally, what about the lowest feather in the indians hair ? lack of detail through there is obvious, is the area lustrous ;)

And it has a fair few field marks which could suggest a small amount of circulation ? and yes, a bump above E in Liberty ? lovely coin either way. My guess is a 58 today

That coin is a better then Au 55. I can not see any friction
And/or the images don't portray it accurately.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

The grade on this piece is too conservative IMO. There is almost always a tiny disturbance on the cheek of these coins. If you don’t discount a TINY disturbance there, there you will come to the decision that these coins almost do not exist in Mint State. The only coins that would qualify are those that get into MS-66 or higher holder.

Here is a 1913 half eagle that is “all there.” This piece is in a PCGS MS-64 holder, and it is nice for the grade. BTW the half eagle is MUCH harder to find in Mint State than the quarter eagle.

1913HalfEagleO.jpg1913HalfEagleR.jpg

There's a difference though, between disturbance and wear. Most of the MS64-65 coins, at least, are free from actual rub, and any high point marks are chatter and not rub.

Agreed that the Indian half eagle is much harder to find than the Indian quarter eagle.

I finally broke down and bought a really nice 1911 $5 Indian graded MS62. A really nice one in an ancient NGC holder. An impulse buy but one I'm glad I made.

Someday when I have a spare moment I'll photograph it and post the pic here.